none
Sender Filtering Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was going through CBT nugget series for Exchange 2013 and came across Sender Filtering section where trainer explains it as below, which has left me confused. Hope some can throw some light on what he was trying to say.

----------------------------------

Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 70-341 - Configuring and Managing Hygiene:

00:14:43 - I can also set it(Sender Filtering) up for blocked domains as well.

00:14:47 - So for blocked domains, if we have another company, for

00:14:51 - example, that we just acquired, we don't want anyone

00:14:54 - to actually send any emails out as the old company name.

00:14:58 - We could say blocked domains would be

00:15:00 - companywejustpurchased.com, and this would prevent anyone

00:15:05 - from that company from sending out email from

00:15:08 - the old company name.

As per my understanding and from Technet articles below it works ONLY on messages that come FROM external sources.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124354(v=exchg.150).aspx

Sender filtering relies on the MAIL FROM: SMTP header to determine what action, if any, to take on an inbound email message. Sender filtering is provided by the Sender Filter agent.

As noted earlier in this topic, ONLY messages that come FROM external sources are filtered. External sources are defined as non-authenticated sources. These are considered anonymous Internet sources.

However looking at the explaination from Trainer, it appears that Sender Filtering works(Blocks) on outbound emails from my organization going outside to the internet as well. (I thought this can only be achieved using Transport Rules)

Please let me know, what I missed or what exactly sender filtering does or doesn't do.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:57 AM

All replies

• HiSatyajit,

As the TechNetarticle mentioned, you can enableand disable the Sender Filter agent to run on messages from any source, whatever the source is internal or external. However, as a best practice, you shouldn't filter email messages from trusted partners or from inside your organization.

In order to reduce the chance that anti-spam filters will mishandle legitimate messages, you should configure anti-spam agents to run only on messages from potentially untrusted and unknown sources.

Best regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:36 AM
  • Hi Niko,

Thanks for your reply.

This is where I'm stuck, can you show me how\where to specify so that I can control whether internal or external emails are been considered for processing.

If its just mentioning the domainname.com in the cmdlet, will all emails between 2 mailbox servers flow via recieve connectors only (Not the external internet recieve connectors).

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:56 AM