• Question

• Hello,

How fast is ReadyBoost?

Quantitatively, could anyone give me a rank of speed between

1. DDR2
    2. USB 2.0 flash drive
    3. HD

?

Is the USB 2.0 flash drive faster than DDR2 or not?

Another question is that is readyboost places application data in the connected USB flash drive and I suddenly unplug it, will it cause data lost just like unplugging suddenly the memory card from the mother board?

The third question is on USB hub. Does USB hub affect readyboot performance?

1. If I buy a cheap USB hub of inferior quality, does that make readyboost slower than normal?
    2. If I am using a quality USB but connectes several storage devices a the same time and doing I/O operations, say, copying large files between the PC and one or more of the connected devices, which intuitively will cause an overload on the traffic, will that also make readyboost slower?

Technically, how does USB hub work? Does that work by doing any time(bandwidth)-sharing between the connected devices? If that is true, apparently performance of all connected devices will be affected if heavy I/O operations are being carried out. Is that true?

Thanks,
    Bob

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hello,

How fast is ReadyBoost?

Quantitatively, could anyone give me a rank of speed between

1. DDR2
    2. USB 2.0 flash drive
    3. HD

?

Is the USB 2.0 flash drive faster than DDR2 or not?

DDR2 >HD>USB 2.0 flash drive.

But USB has one thing that the other two don't have. Flash Technoligy.

Another question is that is readyboost places application data in the connected USB flash drive and I suddenly unplug it, will it cause data lost just like unplugging suddenly the memory card from the mother board?

No doult.

The third question is on USB hub.

To answer this complicated question and more information, better read this blog

Using memory in your storage device to speed up your computer

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:36 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 1:00 PM