Designing SCCM R2 Streaming Mode For Application Availability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

With SCCM R2 in streaming mode we have found that there is no seamless way for a launched application to fail over to alternative distro points, if a dp becomes unavailable while an application is running.

This seems to be due to the fact that the look up for available distro points only occurs at application launch, and doesnt seem to occur again when the disto points becomes unavailable.

How are other people managing distribution point availability in streamed mode?
    At the moment the only way fwd seems to be cached mode, or 2 x App V stream servers and NLB.

Cheers

Rahvintzu

Further background detail: Page 14 - Virtual Application Management with
    Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5 and System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2

Whitepaper DL Link:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/App-V_and_ConfigMgr_Whitepaper_Final.docx
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:26 AM

Answers

•  Have you tested what happens if you relaunch the application after failure with an unavialble DP.  Does it actually know it is unavialable and switch or are you out of luck?

When you re launch the application it will fail over to the other DP as the management point reports available DPs, back to the client on launch.
    If MS are commited to stream mode, they need to check the management point on connection failure and not just in app launch.

Also what is your luck with the upgrade process.  I have found very unfavorable results in getting it to update without another advertisement.

Yeah you need to create another advertisement...

My intial wanting to use streaming is born out of using SG/App-V standalone.... lower HDD use... faster end user access to applications.
    I have lab machines that need around a 100/150 apps on them....
    I can still fit them on the HDD using D&E.... just wanted things to work more like standalone App-V strengths.

Im looking fwd to improvements in the next version of App-V for SCCM.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:21 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:03 AM

All replies

• So I need to ask this question.  Why do you need to failover while the application is running to another distribution point?  The application or at least enough to run it would have already been streamed and cached to the client, so it would run even if the DP became unavailable. 

You are correct that it only looks for distribution points at application launch.

Also what is cached mode that you are talking about.  SCCM supports streaming from DP or Download and Execute.

mattmcdermott

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:25 PM
  •  Hello,

If the need of a failover while running an application has arisen - i think a download and execute would be the best use of the product.

However, I am very unclear why someone would need it and can't really say that it really would be a risk I would assess - as why my answer might not be perfect.
    (as the likely hood of the actual bits not been available would be purely on the first execution of the application, unless you  reset the cache on a regular basis... etc etc )

/Znack
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:34 PM
  • @ Matt. 
    In answer to your question,
    Stream Delivery Mode:
    FB1 comes down and app is launched, after which it will require data from FB2 during normal use.
    FB2 will be streamed to the client both actively (through use), and passively (background) until 100% of the app is down.

Issues do arrise if an application is already launched (FB1 complete) but then the DP used becomes unavailable and FB2 has not completely downloaded in the background.
    The result is an app hang where the client will lose there work.

Regarding my use of the word cache my appologies... been working with app-v when it was softgrid... please replace this with the SCCM R2 term Local Delivery -> Download and Execute.

I have pretty much resigned myself to using Local Delivery, due to advantages vs disadvantages.....MS IT seem to have come to the same conclusion.

Cheers

Rahvintzu
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I am in agreement with you on using DandE, we need to start that as the official name. 

I was testing with a customer last week and the stream method wasn't ruled out but not going to be the common model.  DandE will give a much better user experience as everything they need will be with them whether online or not.  Just have to buy bigger hard drives for everyone.  I like this option as it gives the capability of using it more like the old SG days.

Have you tested what happens if you relaunch the application after failure with an unavialble DP.  Does it actually know it is unavialable and switch or are you out of luck?

I haven't tested that scenario.  Also what is your luck with the upgrade process.  I have found very unfavorable results in getting it to update without another advertisement.   Again, primarily using DandE.

Also, not using Mandatory advertisements is a very interesting user experience to say the least and when doing non-mandatory upgrades I don't know how anyone would know they need to upgrade.  Just some observations, but clearly an area where the way SCCM works doesn't give that rich on-demand experience the SG crowd became familiar with.

DandE=Download and Execute if I am confusing anyone. 

I think the problem I am having most with SCCM R2 is that I worked with SG and really want that feature set and it just isn't the same.  Not saying worse just different and wish some of those features behaved the same way.

mattmcdermott

Friday, March 27, 2009 1:13 AM
  •  Have you tested what happens if you relaunch the application after failure with an unavialble DP.  Does it actually know it is unavialable and switch or are you out of luck?

When you re launch the application it will fail over to the other DP as the management point reports available DPs, back to the client on launch.
    If MS are commited to stream mode, they need to check the management point on connection failure and not just in app launch.

Also what is your luck with the upgrade process.  I have found very unfavorable results in getting it to update without another advertisement.

Yeah you need to create another advertisement...

My intial wanting to use streaming is born out of using SG/App-V standalone.... lower HDD use... faster end user access to applications.
    I have lab machines that need around a 100/150 apps on them....
    I can still fit them on the HDD using D&E.... just wanted things to work more like standalone App-V strengths.

Im looking fwd to improvements in the next version of App-V for SCCM.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:21 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:03 AM