KB2761451(Nov 13) cause hard assert in IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a webpage that is running inside an IFRAME and it works great on all versions of IE7,8, Firefox, Chrome, IOS, Safari etc. It uses HTML5 and corresponding doc type.

After installing the latest KB from microsoft opening webpage in IE9 now crashes with the following message:
    Message: "A problem displaying a webpage caused Internet Explorer to refresh the page using Compatibility View"

IE9 reports Update Version: 9.0.11 (KB2761451)

Note that this only happens when running inside an IFRAME. If I open the page separately it works fine. It is a requirement for me to run inside an iframe in this instance.

I tried to step through the code for the webpage and at one point it crashed on a call to elem.css('border-left-width'). Eliminating that call and removing all related offending code only made it crash sometime after document has finished loading when IE9 is updating the display.

BTW: Resetting IE9 settings does not seem to work

After further testing it seems the error also happens when running normally(NOT inside an IFRAME )

I was directed to ask this question here by a support engineer as mentioned here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/kb2761451nov-13-cause-hard-assert-in-ie9-when/c69b159d-9389-4a15-b8c8-d40a0d7977e3

• Edited by lothar777 Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:03 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We have a patch release today. Could you please install it and test your application again?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-077

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:51 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We need collect IE userdump to find the root cause of this process crash issue. To such issue, it is not an efficient way to work in this community since we may need more resources. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

At the same time, I saw a similar issue which is troubleshooting by our engineer in our database. I will give you an update if I find they get a solution.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Having to pay for support on this issue feels a little bit strange, since it is clearly an issue related to this particular KB, but I would be more than happy to work with you on providing a userdump etc.

We are now having to recommend our customers to disable the setting "Automatically recover from page layout errors with compatibility view". If we disable this setting nothing bad happens and strangely enough the page works fine. The other strange thing is if we keep the setting enabled  the error only happens once every time IE is started.  All successive pageloads for the same page works fine, even when switching back to IE9 Standards mode after the error occured the first time. 

I would very much appreciate if you would keep me posted on the similar issue which you mentioned.

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

The development team determined this is a bug and is in progress fixing it. I will provide update as soon as new information comes up. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for the info Ruby. Do you know of the status for this fix? KB2761451 is affecting the website I support and any information on the resolution of this problem is appreciated.

Do you have any other resources or links that better explain the compatibility issue or are there any official Microsoft press releases on it?

Thanks,

Matt

Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Just adding in another ditto...  We've got a number of computers with this issue and need a hotfix. 

Friday, December 7, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Hi,

The development team is testing some fixes as of last update now.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

We have a patch release today. Could you please install it and test your application again?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-077

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:51 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:54 AM