Can no longer RDP RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro.  My Microsoft account email address is a hotmail account--I know I have the current password, as I can log into my MS account.  I use a pin to log into my desktop computer rather than the MS account password.  I wish to access it from my laptop.  Both laptop and desktop are in homegroup.  RDP on desktop is enabled. McAfee handles firewall, not Windows, and remote connections are allowed in the McAfee firewall.  On the laptop, when attempting to connect, I have tried entering my name, my email address, MicrosoftAccount\myemailaddress, the network ip in various combinations with every password ever used with all of them.  It never accepts the password.  Any help would be appreciated! 

PS I used to be able to connect before recent updates.  

Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have mentioned that both the devices are in the same network subnet. As a basic troubleshooting technique, did you try to ping your  Desktop PC IP from your laptop.

If that is successful that means we need to do a further troubleshooting. Then you can Telnet the Desktop PC and run the trace route. Once you have the results, Hope you find a shortest way to connect.

If you unable to logging still, let me know with the infrastructure details.

Hemal

Saturday, December 2, 2017 5:24 PM
  • Hi Ellen,

What's your Windows operating system (Windows 10 1703 or Windows 10 1709 or other)? We could check by typing "winver" in Windows search box.

" It never accepts the password."

Are there exact error messages occur?

Please check error codes recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System). If it is difficult to analysis them, please export them and delete your personal information, then upload to OneDrive and paste the link here. 

By the way, Hemal Ekanayake's suggestion is valuable to try to ping them for checking.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Monday, December 4, 2017 9:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, December 26, 2017 2:22 AM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 9:36 AM