Migrating from Linux Mail to Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any official documents of the Best Practices of migrating Linux Mail to Exchange 2007?

I appreciate any help that I can receive.

Friday, September 11, 2009 3:23 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Transporter Suite is the tool that will help you migrate from Linux Mail to Exchange 2007. The suite contains a set of tools to bulk migrate mailboxes from any generic email servers that support the POP3 or IMAP4 protocol to mailboxes into Exchange Server 2007

Moving from a Linux Mail Server and peer-to-peer network to Exchange Server 2007 is a series of articles on the Microsoft partner site which in 4 parts explains the migration process from Linux Mail to Exchange 2007

More resources:

Interoperating with and Migrating from Other Non-Exchange Messaging Systems to Exchange Server 2003

• Proposed as answer by VSP-- Monday, September 14, 2009 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, September 18, 2009 3:44 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:25 AM
  • I would be hesitant to use the Transporter Suite tool.  When I was doing a migration from a unix based system to Exchange 2007 there were a number of errors (which I can't recall, it was over a year ago).  A call into microsoft support said that there was a bug with the Transporter Suite and it couldn't be used for our type of migration. 

Granted, this may have been fixed by now, but I would deploly the Exchange 2003 objects first just to be safe.

SF - MCITP:EMA, MCTS: MOSS 2007, OCS 2007, Exchange 2007
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Good Info..James, well as per my understanding we can also do this through Exchange 2003 migration wizard. Only one draw back is we must reset the passwords of all users and must enable IMAP4 for all the mailboxes on sendmail and export the mailbox alias names into a CSV file.

Once done we must create a Imapuser.csv file which will information of the Sendmail server and Imap users list with the default password.

We must also create the same users in AD with the same alias and than use the Exchange 2003 Migration wizrd.

The syntax of Imapuser.csv file must be in this format

IMAP_Mailbox,SMTP_Address,IMAP_Password,IMAP_Server

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:32 AM

All replies

• Nothing offical, but if you can, I would deploy Exchange 2003 first and then migrate from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007. 

You ExMerge from the Linux Mail environment and import into Exchange 2003, then use the move-mailbox command to move from 2003 to 2007.

Friday, September 11, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Microsoft Transporter Suite is the tool that will help you migrate from Linux Mail to Exchange 2007. The suite contains a set of tools to bulk migrate mailboxes from any generic email servers that support the POP3 or IMAP4 protocol to mailboxes into Exchange Server 2007

Moving from a Linux Mail Server and peer-to-peer network to Exchange Server 2007 is a series of articles on the Microsoft partner site which in 4 parts explains the migration process from Linux Mail to Exchange 2007

More resources:

Interoperating with and Migrating from Other Non-Exchange Messaging Systems to Exchange Server 2003

• Proposed as answer by VSP-- Monday, September 14, 2009 2:17 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:25 AM
  • I would be hesitant to use the Transporter Suite tool.  When I was doing a migration from a unix based system to Exchange 2007 there were a number of errors (which I can't recall, it was over a year ago).  A call into microsoft support said that there was a bug with the Transporter Suite and it couldn't be used for our type of migration. 

Granted, this may have been fixed by now, but I would deploly the Exchange 2003 objects first just to be safe.

Monday, September 14, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Good Info..James, well as per my understanding we can also do this through Exchange 2003 migration wizard. Only one draw back is we must reset the passwords of all users and must enable IMAP4 for all the mailboxes on sendmail and export the mailbox alias names into a CSV file.

Once done we must create a Imapuser.csv file which will information of the Sendmail server and Imap users list with the default password.

We must also create the same users in AD with the same alias and than use the Exchange 2003 Migration wizrd.

The syntax of Imapuser.csv file must be in this format

IMAP_Mailbox,SMTP_Address,IMAP_Password,IMAP_Server

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Any update on this thread?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:24 AM