Gmail/Outlook unknown sender issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to copy my email messages using Outlook 2010 to gmail. But when I copy sent email to gmail, then gmail shows unknown sender on web gmail. I have tried to find out the problem. The problem I have found is that outlook saves only the contact name in the from: and sender: field in the header. e.g. "John Knight", whereas gmail uses email address to figure out who was the sender.

When I studied emails copied using Outlook 2010, and another email client I saw that the internet header was of the form

Sender: "John Knight"

which gmail was not able to recognize. 

wheras gmail was able to recognize the header in this form 

Sender: "John Knight" <John@example.com>

My question is how can I configure Outlook 2010 to save email address in the from and sender field in the internet header?

Or if any one can help copying emails from microsoft exchange server to gmail without this unknown sender problem.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This might be Gmail's issue and someone find the answer from the link: http://code.google.com/p/google-email-uploader/issues/detail?id=40

I've copy the answer as follows.
    ============================
    Comment 55 by ket...@gmail.com, Sep 15, 2011

The solution to the "(unknown sender)" problem when migrating from Exchange is actually quiet simple but it took me several days to find the answer.  I haven't found a problem with it yet.

It assumes that you have access to the mailboxes on Exchange Server which has IMAP enabled.

1) Create a new Outlook account to your Exchange server but specify IMAP as the account type.  You will effectively end up with two connections to the same mailbox, one using the native Exchange protocol, another using IMAP.

2) Create a connection to Gmail using an IMAP account.

3) Copy the email folders (or individual emails) using the IMAP connection to Exchange as the source

Then, no more unknown senders in Gmail.

If you have large mailboxes or multiple mailboxes then this method is a pain as it ties up Outlook while the transfer takes place.  I ended up breaking up large folders into smaller sub-folders and doing them individually and then merging them back together in Gmail.

NOTE: If you don't have Outlook on the PC you want to do the migration from then you could use Windows Live Mail (part of Windows Live Essentials) to do exactly the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, September 17, 2012 9:48 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This might be Gmail's issue and someone find the answer from the link: http://code.google.com/p/google-email-uploader/issues/detail?id=40

I've copy the answer as follows.
    Comment 55 by ket...@gmail.com, Sep 15, 2011

The solution to the "(unknown sender)" problem when migrating from Exchange is actually quiet simple but it took me several days to find the answer.  I haven't found a problem with it yet.

It assumes that you have access to the mailboxes on Exchange Server which has IMAP enabled.

1) Create a new Outlook account to your Exchange server but specify IMAP as the account type.  You will effectively end up with two connections to the same mailbox, one using the native Exchange protocol, another using IMAP.

2) Create a connection to Gmail using an IMAP account.

3) Copy the email folders (or individual emails) using the IMAP connection to Exchange as the source

Then, no more unknown senders in Gmail.

If you have large mailboxes or multiple mailboxes then this method is a pain as it ties up Outlook while the transfer takes place.  I ended up breaking up large folders into smaller sub-folders and doing them individually and then merging them back together in Gmail.

NOTE: If you don't have Outlook on the PC you want to do the migration from then you could use Windows Live Mail (part of Windows Live Essentials) to do exactly the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, September 17, 2012 9:48 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 3:33 AM
  • How about instructions to fix this for NORMAL users, and not Exchange admins?  

I don't see where the OP mentioned that he's migrating from an Exchange server... just his good ol' desktop Outlook, for which these instructions would be fairly useless.

The issue applies as well to Windows 10 Mail app.  It completely throws sideways, connecting into Gmail.

Thanks!

Sunday, March 8, 2020 4:27 PM