App-V 4.6 SP1 middleware no OSD file RRS feed

• Question

• I just need to confirm what I'm seeing. When I create a Middleware application with no shortcut then no OSD is created.  Do I need to create a dummy shortcut to get an OSD file generated ?
    Consultant Dimension Data
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• This is one of the reasons I created the SP! Sequencer Flow Chart, so you can see what you do and don't get depending on how you answer the questions in the wizard.  Even if you are doing a plugin, I would use the standard app path so that you can add the OSD without reopening the package.

As a side note, while I always believed you had to have an OSD for each package, this isn't actually true.  It seems to be true if you use the full App-V server to deploy, but not if you use the package as middleware in an SCCM or Stand-alone client situation.  But wait, you say, without an OSD how do you set up the DSC?  Ha, I say, you just don't use the DSC tool and manually edit the dependency using infomration from the manifest or sprj of the dependent package -- after all it is the sft that you are dependent upon.  Look for "Default OSD" in those files.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hello,

You can manually open the package (using the wizard add a new application) and add a "dummy" osd incase you need one
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:08 PM

All replies

• which middle ware application. remember sequencing is not support on application which internet act with hardware, karnel
    Thanks Uday Kiran,
    Senior Consultant

Cyquent Technology Consultants, Dubai

Please Mark as answer if it helps you
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

You can manually open the package (using the wizard add a new application) and add a "dummy" osd incase you need one
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:08 PM
  • This is one of the reasons I created the SP! Sequencer Flow Chart, so you can see what you do and don't get depending on how you answer the questions in the wizard.  Even if you are doing a plugin, I would use the standard app path so that you can add the OSD without reopening the package.

As a side note, while I always believed you had to have an OSD for each package, this isn't actually true.  It seems to be true if you use the full App-V server to deploy, but not if you use the package as middleware in an SCCM or Stand-alone client situation.  But wait, you say, without an OSD how do you set up the DSC?  Ha, I say, you just don't use the DSC tool and manually edit the dependency using infomration from the manifest or sprj of the dependent package -- after all it is the sft that you are dependent upon.  Look for "Default OSD" in those files.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:25 PM