Activation Issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having an issue with my Vista Ulimate.  It is saying that I will need to activate.  I purchase this computer November, 2007 and haven't had any issues up until May, 2008.  Vista came preinstalled and I think that I kind of got scammed on ebay when I purchased it.  There is not a validation sticker on the computer and I didn't receive any cd's.  This is my own fault, I realize.

The issue that I have is purchasing the correct software this time around.  I have run the MS Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and it does say the validation status is Invalid license.  I would just like to know what to purchase from a retail store that would make this work correctly again. 

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:07 PM

Answers

• as far as I know, if you don't want to re-install your system then you'd need to purchase a copy that matches your installed version, in this case vista ultimate - if you buy retail i believe you get both x32 and x64 discs/keys.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Pjugovich

If your sure that you have a pirated version of Vista installed, the only real option you have is to purchase a full, retail version of Vista.

Many of the pirated versions of Vista have malicious programs installed that are difficult to find and remove. Your safest option is to perform a clean installation of Vista, using the full version that you purchase.

You should also report this incident to the Microsoft Piracy website, so that they can document where the pirated version came from.

Protect Yourself from Piracy:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

If this post answers your question, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message
    so that other members can benefit from the discussion.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:45 PM

All replies

• as far as I know, if you don't want to re-install your system then you'd need to purchase a copy that matches your installed version, in this case vista ultimate - if you buy retail i believe you get both x32 and x64 discs/keys.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Pjugovich

If your sure that you have a pirated version of Vista installed, the only real option you have is to purchase a full, retail version of Vista.

Many of the pirated versions of Vista have malicious programs installed that are difficult to find and remove. Your safest option is to perform a clean installation of Vista, using the full version that you purchase.

You should also report this incident to the Microsoft Piracy website, so that they can document where the pirated version came from.

Protect Yourself from Piracy:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

If this post answers your question, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Unbelievable but I think that the problem is solved.  I contacted Microsoft piracy and had a very lengthy conversation about what needs to happen and all the details of the guy that scammed me.  Microsoft was very generous in helping me out so that I do not have to start all over.  I did have to purchase Vista Ultimate Full copy to make it work and spend a few hours backing up just in case but instead of losing everything, I think it worked to my best interest at this time.  I appreciate your comments and help in this matter.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Pjugovich

Excellent! I'm very glad they were able to get the problem solved for you.

Please go back and mark my last message with the 'Mark as answered' button, so that others will see that the problem was solved.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Not to steal your glory or anything ronnie, but you didn't really say anything that I hadn't already, other than report it to MS Piracy - the resolution was to purchase a full copy of the installed OS which I had previously mentioned.

It isn't very professional (that's not to say my bitching about it is either) to tell people to mark your response as 'Mark as Answered' when someone else already answered the question.

Anyway I'm glad Pjugovich is sorted.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Xonics

The information in my sig is not for my benefit, I really don't need it. The only important item is that the original poster resolved their problem.

It's important that any thread that has a resolution, for the original posters question be marked as answered.

Doing this allows that thread to be included in the 'answered questions' section of the forum database. This helps users who are searching for a fix to their problem because they can use the 'answered questions' attribute to return only questions that resolved the problem for the original poster.

Click the FAQ icon at the top/right of the screen for more information.

Also, take a look at the Forum Options / View by attribute at the lower / left of the screen.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Not to burst both of your bubbles but I had talked to a Microsoft rep and it was already determined before either of your posts that a full Vista Ultimate was needed.  I then in turn talked in great length to a piracy rep at Microsoft about my situation.  He advised that there is a way not to have to load the entire cd and wipe out all my programs until I am ready for it, which at this time I am not.

The reason that I did mark the "answered" is so that I and others would be able to consider this closed.  I appreciate the answers that came from both of you and it did reassure my gut feeling to purchase the new one instead of a update version.  Thanks again to both of you, I really do appreciate the information that was given.  It was indeed reassuring and truthful.  Thanks again.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:46 AM