SQL MP: Run As Account does not exist on SQL Express servers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeing this alert on SQL Express isntances but only once or so, very small amounts of repeat failures. Anyone know what might be wrong or what to look for?

I've read the guide and permissions are correct for all other servers including SQL 2005 and 2008. There are just a few SQL Express instances causing me this error.

Monday, January 10, 2011 8:58 PM

Answers

• Look a little closer and I see these are really failing scripts for dbspace checking. Most of the time it's working but not always. My guess is SQL is using the autoclose and closing the database or something, it's nothing to actually do with permissions.
    • Marked as answer by jbn2050 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:30 PM

All replies

• And you are absolutely sure that the runas accounts are distributed to all servers? You can check that by opening the runas account and go to the distribution tab. If "more secure" is selected than you should add all your agent to that list. With all of your agents I mean of course the SQL Servers that are discovered.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Only a small amount of servers use the run as for certain sites. All others including all SQL Express use the default (local system). So why are these complaining? Also, they usually only complain once or twice and then stop... sounds like a problem with just SQL itself?

For those instances I can connect to remotely with the SQL management studio express, I can see builtin\administrators has SA. So I can't see why this would be a permissions issue.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Do you see any records in the log from SQL Express that a login failed on the moments you receive the alerts? You probably first need to enable logging for failed and/or success logging and wait for the next alert, because it isn't enabled by default by my knowledge.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, January 14, 2011 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, January 17, 2011 8:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jbn2050 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Look a little closer and I see these are really failing scripts for dbspace checking. Most of the time it's working but not always. My guess is SQL is using the autoclose and closing the database or something, it's nothing to actually do with permissions.
    • Marked as answer by jbn2050 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:30 PM