none
Creating a DNS zone when FQDN zone already exists RRS feed

• Question

• Confusing I know, but here is my issue.....

I need to create a DNS Zone for (eg) DNS.Zone ready to migrate to O365, however our DNS already has zones for something.DNS.Zone and adfs.DNS.Zone and others.

I do not know the reason that FQDNs were used for Zone names, but I believe it may be because lack of knowledge assumed that this method wouldn't affect other services using that domain name (such as web and MX) as DNS.Zone is an external domain.

My question is:-

Will creating the new zone break the existing zones?

If i create the zone, is it recommended to move the other zones into it as A records (Or C, SRV... depending on whats required)?

I think I already know the answers, but would like some validation or input...

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by NewbieNik73 Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Based on my experience, it will not break existing zone. And you don't need to move zones as records in new zone.

Best regards,

Hollis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if your question is resolved? Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hollis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:15 AM