Federation with Hotmail.com RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Up to what I know that in on-premise environments, We need to configure PIC at https://pic.lync.com and add hosting provider through Powershell command.

How can we achieve federation with hotmail.com in Skype for Business online environment? Our users are unable to communicate with hotmail users and getting presence unknown even after sending a test hello. Please help.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinay Mishra

Monday, January 21, 2019 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi vinay6m,

Do you mean you use a Hotmail.com account to log into the Skype client and it cannot show presence or communicate with Skype for Business normally?

If users need to communicate with Skype users with Skype for Business client, they need to add the Skype users as contacts at first, then they can communicate with Skype users. Please note about this and check it at first.

Then you could also verify that your organization allows communication with external contacts: Go to Skype for Business admin center -> Organization -> external communications, make sure you have enabled “Public IM connectivity”. After enable this, you need to wait about 72 hours for sync.

In addition, you could refer to the following official document to find more details about Skype for Business Online users can't communicate with external contacts

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for replying. 

I am sorry if I was not clear enough. We are on Skype for Business Online eg. xyz.com. Our users need to be able to communicate with hotmail.com users over Skype for Business. That is our requirement.

I am not sure if hotmail.com comes under public IM or it uses XMPP connection.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinay Mishra

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Hi vinay6m,

Skype for Business online is not supported XMPP. Based on your description, users need to communicate with the hotmail.com accounts which are used Skype, so it under the Public IM connectivity. You could follow the steps I provided in my last reply and then check again.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, January 25, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi vinay6m,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, January 28, 2019 3:21 AM