Print spooler startup type keeps resetting to manual RRS feed

• Question

• NONE of the threads on Print-Spooler problems on this forum (or anywher) are pertinent to my problem.  My P-S service runs FINE, and there are NO problems with printing.  However, EVERY time I reboot the machine, the startup type for this service has mysteriously been reset to manual, so Spooler is not running, and there are no installed printers.  Before I start a computing session, I manually reset that back to "Automatic" and manually start the service.  All my printers then immediately appear in Control Panel, and printing runs smoothly until the machine must be powered down, even if it remains on for a week.  On rebooting, however, I have to repeat the process all over again EVERY time.

I have Windows 7 with ALL updates and two HP printers installed, both networked.

I have Googled and Binged for a year without finding anyone asking this same question.

My Print Spooler never stops.  It's just that it has to be started manually every time I boot which is a PITA.

I can find nothing in Event Viewer that appears to be relevant.

Ideas?????

Anyone have a SCRIPT that I could schedule to run at startup to start the service?

Ron

Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There is a sample for your reference, or you can go to scripting guys forum to ask more help about script issue:

VBScript - Windows 7 - Remotely Stop / Start a Service

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/6fa7bb7c-9ae7-4047-9b21-6d4778655060

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:26 AM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 3:07 AM
  • That looks definitive, but I'm not a programmer, and I cannot tell how to modify that script for the spooler service.

Ron

Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:46 AM
  • Hi,

Some third-party service or driver or monitor might be causing this though it doesn't affect the actual functioning of the service.

You can check the issue by running the "Spooler Cleaner tool" to repair the spooler service.

File can be found here:

http://cid-b7ed40feb32ba29f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/software/cleanspl.zip

1. Please extract the file to the Desktop.

2. Before making any changes take a complete backup of your registry (and spool folder) to avoid loosing any data.

2. Double click cleanspl.exe and click the Spooler Cleaner button.

3. Restart your computer.

Regards,

Aniket

Good Luck, Aniket

Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Regarding this situation, you can visit our script guys forum to get more help.

Thanks.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 17, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

Some third-party service or driver or monitor might be causing this though it doesn't affect the actual functioning of the service.

You can check the issue by running the "Spooler Cleaner tool" to repair the spooler service.

File can be found here:

http://cid-b7ed40feb32ba29f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/software/cleanspl.zip

1. Please extract the file to the Desktop.

2. Before making any changes take a complete backup of your registry (and spool folder) to avoid loosing any data.

2. Double click cleanspl.exe and click the Spooler Cleaner button.

3. Restart your computer.

Regards,

Aniket

Good Luck, Aniket

Aniket,  the app states that "all printer drivers" will be deleted.  Does that mean that all drivers and software are going to have to be reinstalled after running "Clean Spooler?"

Ron

Ron

• Edited by milleron Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:17 AM typo
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Hi Ron,

I suggest to go through this link. And accordingly plan your next action depending on the number of printer drivers entries in the registry.

Also found this helpful link.

Regards, AnikG

Friday, June 28, 2013 3:27 AM