none
Is SQL Server Standard Edition Trial available for download? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just wanted to check whether Microsoft allows to download SQL Server Standard Edition Trial to try out in an ON-PREM Environment or not.

As per my understanding, SQL Server trial evaluation (available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server) is the free edition which includes all the features. If you want to check out any / all of the features, this is a complete version.

However, the Standard edition has certain limitations which can impact a production environment. Examples of such limitations include you can only join one database per Basic Availability Group, you cannot enable the secondary replica as a readable secondary, you cannot run backups on the secondary replica, etc.

Coming to evaluating trials, apart from Evaluation version, I’m getting only the trial version of SQL Server 2019 Developer and SQL Server 2019 Express edition only.

Can someone from Microsoft confirm whether I have to buy Standard Edition as mandate for an On-Prem deployment or not?

Or Can I try it without buying as well?

Thanks!

Vikash Upadhyay

Friday, September 25, 2020 11:38 AM