locked
Getting "Unknown Error has Occurred" After Project Server 2013 DB Restore RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All,

    I have restored our content and pwa databases as per Microsoft's guide, one Project Web App works fine and the other has the error "An Unknown Error has Occurred" on the projects view and also when viewing Enterprise Project Types.

    Another thing I have noticed is that only the Sys Admin has access to the project sites even though users have been added as admins etc.

    We are patched to the December 2013 CU / Hotfix and I have also run the provided service scripts by Microsoft to go with the hotfix.

    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as we are looking to test SP1 and apply to our production environment.

    Thanks in advance...

    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:18 AM

Answers

  • After restoring project databases, the EDP and PDP settings get lost.  Open up the settings and make sure they are still there.  If not, then fix.

    Cheers


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    • Marked as answer by Stonecoldice Monday, September 29, 2014 2:25 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 11:27 AM

All replies

  • are you using the same content database for both PWA instances ?

    also it seems this is on different servers ?? Have you tried doing a bulk project update (found under server settings)

    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:56 AM
  • After restoring project databases, the EDP and PDP settings get lost.  Open up the settings and make sure they are still there.  If not, then fix.

    Cheers


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    • Marked as answer by Stonecoldice Monday, September 29, 2014 2:25 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 11:27 AM
  • What does the SharePoint log say when you come across the error?

    Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Monday, September 1, 2014 1:04 PM
  • PowerShell has a command called. Test-SPContentDB.

    Run the TEST-SPContentDB powershell command on database and see if it provides additional information.

    Cheers


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:41 AM
  • Thanks for all you replies - the problem was corrupted backups. This was resolved by simply restoring from a backup that worked as the 3 backups I was trying restore from all had issues.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 2:25 PM