application.exe has encountered problem and needs to close. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project which communicates with the hardware through Serial communication developed in VC++/CLI windows form application.When the application is running ,i get an error message as application.exe has encountered the problem and needs to close.Please tell me why i am getting this message.I dint use any threads also.

Monday, September 29, 2008 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Ammu,

First of all, let me know which application you are using on the Vista computer. Then go to the following webpage to check whether that application is compatible with Windows Vista system.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

If they are not compatible, you should contact your application's manufacturer to solve the compatibility problem at the moment.

Otherwise, please continue with the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Then let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Good Luck!

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Thank you, Andy.

I found the problem, It is because there is serial communication between the hardware and PC.After sometime the hardware used to stop sending signals hence there wont be any data in com port but program tries to read data. So it used to give this error and just used quit from the application.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hello Ammu,

First of all, let me know which application you are using on the Vista computer. Then go to the following webpage to check whether that application is compatible with Windows Vista system.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

If they are not compatible, you should contact your application's manufacturer to solve the compatibility problem at the moment.

Otherwise, please continue with the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Then let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Good Luck!

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Thank you, Andy.

I found the problem, It is because there is serial communication between the hardware and PC.After sometime the hardware used to stop sending signals hence there wont be any data in com port but program tries to read data. So it used to give this error and just used quit from the application.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:57 PM