none
UTF8 Encoding Bug Report about using ftp with windows explorer

Question

• I think I've found an windows explorer bug and I don't know where to report

here is the thing

when using windows explorer visit ftp server such as ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

windows explorer send a command "OPTS utf8 on" to tell ftp server to use utf8

ftp server would accept it and send file names using utf8 when windows explorer using "nlist" ftp command (that is correct response for ftp server)

then when windows explorer using utf8 upload some CJK charactors named file, windows explorer do the wrong way in encoding

for example a file name like "中国人.mp3",windows explorer will send a incorrect encoded file name to the ftp server

Monday, March 26, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How about that if you use other ftp client instead of windows explorer to visit the ftp server? Will you get the same issue?

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:33 AM
  • I've encountered the same problem as torny10 reported in this post.

I was trying to upload to our company FTP server some files with names like "订单分析表.xlsx" which contains ODD numbers of Chinese (or Asian) characters via windows explorer (since it is much more convenient than other ftp client for casual use), then it is rejected by the server with an alert of "You do not have the right. The connection with server is reset." ( translated from Chinese version alert box ).

I tried a lot of files to make sure this is a bug:

1. All the files with only English characters in the filename encounter no problem at all

2. All the files with EVEN numbers of Chinese characters in the filename encounters no problem at all

3. Only files with ODD numbers of Chinese characters in the filename will be rejected by the ftp server.

4. All of the above files are all normally accepted by ftp server via Filezilla and FlashFxp.

Therefore it can be evidently concluded that this is a BUG, which cause a bit problem to me.

Hope there will be some engineer who can look into this issue and possibly give out a solution.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:43 AM
  • I'm also suffering this.

This is a simple test result.

가.txt : okay

가나.txt : 가??.txt

가나다.txt : 가??다.txt

가나다라.txt : 가??다??.txt

가나다라마.txt : 가??다??마.txt

a가.txt : okay

a가나.txt : a가??.txt

a가나다.txt : a가??다.txt

aa가.txt : okay

aa가나.txt : aa가??.txt

aa가나다.txt : aa가??다.txt

aa가a나다.txt : aa가??다.txt

It definitely seems to be a bug of ftp module in windows explorer.

It's a still problem in windows 8.1.

Monday, November 03, 2014 5:16 AM
  • I encountered the same problem, which is definitely the windows explorer problem.
    Friday, March 24, 2017 9:54 AM
  • I encountered the same problem, which is definitely the windows explorer problem.
    Sunday, April 08, 2018 8:51 AM