none
Sharing Script on Technet Galleries RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey all,

I've been working on an amazing script to Export/Import AD users. My Source is based on Victors work on Technet Galleries:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Powershell-script-to-5edcdaea

I had a talk with users in IRC Freenode #Powershell

Some of my code was written during work hours, some of it was written during personal time, a lot of it was provided freely from the source script, some of it was written in house for particular needs.

Question: What license type do I pick, Technet Terms of Use, MIT, or MS-LPL?

Am I allowed to share this or is it owned by my employer? If my boss is ok with the sharing of the script, I should be ok right?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:19 PM

All replies

• This is not an Open Source forum.  Please post your question in a more appropriate forum.  This forum is for scrip questions and not for legal/licensing issues.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:38 PM
  • Not to seem rude, but your response was not very helpful. If you could suggest a better form, that would be helpful. Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:45 PM
  • I suggest any forum that deal with Open Source licensing.  Licensing software ahs nothing to do with Admin scripting.

Here is a place to start: https://opensource.org/licenses

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:50 PM
  • It's just odd that when I want to share a script to Galleries, a Technet subsite or something and these are a required option to pick to share, yet I'm told I can't ask the question here on which one I should pick.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:30 PM
  • So you will need to read through the licensing agreements and choose the one that makes the most sense for you. We can't make recommendations or choose for you.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:49 PM
  • I don't recall ever seeing this issue discussed in any scripting forum.

But when the business unit I worked for was sold 16 years ago and I left, I knew that code I developed in my job was not mine. I asked for and received a license to use some of the utilities I developed (not scripts). As I recall, the company lawyers gave me a license that stated I could use the utilities for my own use. But I could not resell or use in my work for another employer. I could not even revise the source code (as I recall). I didn't own the code. Bottom line, I think only your employer can answer your questions. And I am not sure your boss's opinion would matter much. Probably only company lawyers could answer.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:05 PM
  • I understand your point Richard, the thing about that though is the code is written in a language (in this case powershell). Is it not possible to be able to work for, but also have all your source code you write to be open source?

Specially when a huge chunk of the initial code is code grabbed from other open source posts and forums online?

I don't understand how my company can own code I pasted together from other free sources. Just doesn't seem right? ya know...

• Edited by Zewwy Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:35 PM
  • You could be right. My code was compiled, but I am not in a position to know about scripts. The ones I coded (not for an employer) and posted on my web site have the following comment:

You have a royalty-free right to use, modify, reproduce, and distribute this script file in any way you find useful, provided that you agree that the copyright owner above has no warranty, obligations, or liability for such use.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:07 PM