Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator - error on restart (Windows 10) / wininit.exe - Bad Image / 0xc0000428 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently I have created my custom layout (by changing a few items in existing standard keyboard) using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator v 1.4. Then I pressed Project / Build dll and setup package - so I created installer, then clicked on setup and installed a layout. It works perfectly the way I expected but the problem is:

After installing a layout, my reboot process became to take more time, I checked up event logs and found this

"Application popup: wininit.exe - Bad Image : C:\WINDOWS\system32\UkrQuad.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc0000428. "

UkrQuad.dll is dll automatically installed by layout setup.

-------------------------

http://prntscr.com/br2wao  (see screenshot, can't add images yet)

--------------------------

The time increases for about 36 seconds.

Of course there is no malware on my pc and I'm using the latest win10 updates (build 10586.420). I even tried installing this layout on clear virtual machine with windows 10, the same error occurred although time consumption was about 10 seconds, but the text of the error in event viewer was the same.

Interesting thing that pc reboots fine with no blue screens and layout also works fine, but this error still annoys me.

Could anybody help?

• Edited by Yehor K Sunday, July 10, 2016 7:08 PM
    Sunday, July 10, 2016 7:05 PM

All replies

• The said dll file is a third party dll file and may be facing issues with Windows 10 compatibility. At best you can check this issue is in Safe mode and Clean Boot state.

I have seen the screenshot and it says what I suspected.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, July 11, 2016 12:38 AM
  • But this dll has been installed by layout setup, which has been created using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, not any suspicious thirdparty program. Is Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator not compatible with windows 10?
    Monday, July 11, 2016 6:23 AM
  • Hi Yehor K,

I am afraid there is a compatibility issue between the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and Windows 10. Here is a link for reference:
    Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=22339

Windows 10 is not included in the "System Requirements". I am afraid we may have to use the built-in keyboard layout.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Can I post a bug or let Microsoft know about this incompatibility issue in any other way? Or MS doesn't works in this way and  Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is not being developed anymore?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hi Yehor K,

It seems to be the later. Anyway, we could try to submit the need with the built-in "Feedback" tool. I hope it could be updated again for Windows 10 in the future.

Best regards

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:06 AM
  • How can we do this?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Hi Yehor K,

Search "Feedback" tool on Windows 10 then sign with a Microsoft Account then submit the need.

Best regards

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:41 AM