MOSS 2007 sp3 12.0.0.6608 and SQL 2008r2 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running MOSS 2007 with SP3 on a Server 2008r2 with a SQL Server 2008r2 SP1 backend.  I am just wondering if SP2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 is certified to be ok with MOSS 2007 SP3 (12.0.0.6608).  Am I ok just to apply the service pack to the sql 2008r2 server?  Both web front end and database servers are running up to date Windows Server 2008r2 versions.  Any issues or special tasks needed?  I have run into issues in the past with updates, and our MOSS 2007 server has been quite stable and working great for a long while so I am just being cautious.  Thanks

Joel Yates

Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• Yes, MOSS 2007 SP3 is supported with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. From Determine hardware and software requirements (Office SharePoint Server)

Office SharePoint Server 2007 also supports SQL Server 2008 R2. Ensure that you have installed Office SharePoint Server 2007 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later.

There is no specific notes about SQL 2008 R2 service packs so it's assumed the latest service pack is supported. Since you have MOSS SP3 you meet the minimum requirements (MOSS SP2).

You'll want to perform the upgrade during a maintenance window when you've notified your users of a potential outage. SP2 can install without restarting but this may not be the case in your specific instance. There is also the possibility of intermittent connectivity during the update itself so again it's best to do this during a window.

You can perform the update while SharePoint is running, though for best results it's a good idea to either stop the SharePoint services or shut the SharePoint servers down so they're not interacting with the SQL Server during the upgrade.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Edited by Jason Warren Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:54 PM added link
    • Marked as answer by jyrochester76 Monday, May 13, 2013 7:46 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:54 PM

All replies

• Yes, MOSS 2007 SP3 is supported with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. From Determine hardware and software requirements (Office SharePoint Server)

Office SharePoint Server 2007 also supports SQL Server 2008 R2. Ensure that you have installed Office SharePoint Server 2007 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later.

There is no specific notes about SQL 2008 R2 service packs so it's assumed the latest service pack is supported. Since you have MOSS SP3 you meet the minimum requirements (MOSS SP2).

You'll want to perform the upgrade during a maintenance window when you've notified your users of a potential outage. SP2 can install without restarting but this may not be the case in your specific instance. There is also the possibility of intermittent connectivity during the update itself so again it's best to do this during a window.

You can perform the update while SharePoint is running, though for best results it's a good idea to either stop the SharePoint services or shut the SharePoint servers down so they're not interacting with the SQL Server during the upgrade.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Edited by Jason Warren Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:54 PM added link
    • Marked as answer by jyrochester76 Monday, May 13, 2013 7:46 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Thank you, Jason, for verifying this and the additional info!

Joel

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:47 PM