Windows 7 search - does not return file contents - continued RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think I found a solution to the "Windows 7 search not finding stuff" problem discussed in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/w7itproui/thread/ecbecc00-f3e7-429f-87cd-8900fc313add and elsewhere.

Essentially, the problem seems to be a bug in Windows 7 search: if a file is in a location that corresponds to any of the libraries (which include My Documents, of course), the search does not work correctly.

What I did:

1. Followed instructions in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/turning-off-libraries-in-windows-7/18d001dc-5319-440b-b29c-d348f81c929c to remove the libraries (entirely). I'm still waiting to see if it causes any side effects (such as My Documents location not being found by some stupid software), but so far so good.

2. Removed all disk locations from the list of locations being indexed (I actually left the start menu because I thought it might be useful).

3. Changed folder options to search through contents in non-indexed locations.

4. Disabled Indexing entirely; i.e., stopped the service and marked it "manual". It was probably unnecessary, but since I'm not going to rely on it at all, I figured might as well.

No problem so far. Let me know if you have any missed files with this setup.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:35 PM

All replies

• Thanks for sharing. It will greatly help other people who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Didn't work for me - but then again I've messed with a lot of settings in order to try and fix the problem, so maybe I left some switch in an incorrect state somewhere on the way. Will go with grepWin until MS shapes up and takes care of this enormously embarrasing mess.

How bad are things in this division of the company when a feature this important hasn't been fixed - and almost gone unacknowledged - for such a long time? I think you've lost a lot of cred over this issue.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:36 PM