Windows 7 RC Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I bought Windows Vista Home Premium, with an additional copy of Windows 7 RC. When I first built my computer, I ran Vista for a while, and then eventually did a clean install of Windows 7 RC. However my computer crashed during an upgrade, and Windows 7 refused to boot, and otherwise could not repair itself. I installed Linux to recover my files, and ran that for a while. Then I eventually reinstalled Windows 7, and all has been well.

Until today, that is, when I received a notice that I need to activate my copy of RC because the 30 day time limit is up.

This of course wouldn't be a problem, except Microsoft apparently stopped giving out keys two days ago.

Is there any [legal] way I can obtain a key from Microsoft, still?

My Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade won't be here until December. Otherwise, I'd just hold out for that.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:03 AM

Answers

• There is a legal way to delay the "must active" time. It is not a hack, it is a system put in place by Microsoft to give you more time to evaluate it.

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the Start Menu search box, type Regedit and press Enter.

3. In the registryEditor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform . In the right pane, see if SkipRearm is set to 0 (number 0)

4. If it is not set to 0 – Right click on SkipRearm and click on Modify. Type 0 and click on OK. If it is set to 0 – Skip this and go to step 5.

5. Open a command prompt. Please choose Run as Admin.

6. In the command prompt, type slmgr -rearm and press Enter.

7. If successful you will get a "successfully" message. Click on OK. We will need to restart the computer

You can rearm to a maximum for 3 times.

As we cannot order an RC key not, this will be a workaround to continue using the RC. Meanwhile, if you prefer using Windows 7, get the retail version.

Friday, October 23, 2009 2:58 AM

All replies

• Hi, You could try the W7 RTM for 90 days from link below,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

Then do upgrade from W7 RC to W7 RTM.

Slan go foill, Paul
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Hi, You could try the W7 RTM for 90 days from link below,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

Then do upgrade from W7 RC to W7 RTM.

Slan go foill, Paul
    That's a viable alternative, but I'm trying to do everything in my power not to have to reinstall Windows :P. If there's no other way, though, then I'll go that route. Thanks!
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:31 AM
  • There is a legal way to delay the "must active" time. It is not a hack, it is a system put in place by Microsoft to give you more time to evaluate it.

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the Start Menu search box, type Regedit and press Enter.

3. In the registryEditor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform . In the right pane, see if SkipRearm is set to 0 (number 0)

4. If it is not set to 0 – Right click on SkipRearm and click on Modify. Type 0 and click on OK. If it is set to 0 – Skip this and go to step 5.

5. Open a command prompt. Please choose Run as Admin.

6. In the command prompt, type slmgr -rearm and press Enter.

7. If successful you will get a "successfully" message. Click on OK. We will need to restart the computer

You can rearm to a maximum for 3 times.

As we cannot order an RC key not, this will be a workaround to continue using the RC. Meanwhile, if you prefer using Windows 7, get the retail version.

Friday, October 23, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Thank you so much!

This should hold me over until my retail copy arrives :D.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Thank you so much!

It functioned as you said, except when I restarted Windows it acted as if I never did anything. :(

I'm still able to use Windows, but it's listing it as a non-genuine copy and asking me to activate every so often.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:16 AM
  • Thank you so much!

It functioned as you said, except when I restarted Windows it acted as if I never did anything. :(

I'm still able to use Windows, but it's listing it as a non-genuine copy and asking me to activate every so often.
    What key did you use the first time? It should still work. MS may have quit releasing new keys, but the old ones will still activate just fine until next June.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:28 AM

• Since the RC isn't valid after March, the keys are technically still out there. Microsoft has just taken the link away so people buy the actual product rather than let people continue to download and use the RC.

It should be perfectly legal to just Google search for "Windows 7 RC Key". If not, there are many people (like myself) that did the wise thing and made a backup of some of the keys in case Microsoft took down the page...

Hope that helps,
    Master_Rudik

i.like.spammy@gmail.com

----
    More happy is [here!]
    -Kylie
    • Proposed as answer by Master_Rudik Friday, October 23, 2009 7:31 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:30 PM