none
Migrate Tape Catalog to new DPM Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Because of the risky upgrade scenario from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 we decided to set up a new DPM 2010 server and move one protected server after the other to the new DPM server.

The library will be moved to the new server as well.

Question: We will lose the whole tape catalog information, including which backup is on which tape. Is there a way to migrate or export that data to the new DPM server?

Thanks

Philippe

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:05 PM Moving to DPM Tape Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Philippe!

If you are not able to upgrade your old DPM server you will wont be able to retain the tape information since it's located in the DPM datbase as far as I know.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Philippe S,

<snip>
    Because of the risky upgrade scenario from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 we decided to set up a new DPM 2010 server and move one protected server after the other to the new DPM server.
    >snip<

The upgrade process is not that risky because DPM 2010 upgrade does not make any changes to the existing DPM 2007 DB.  So as long as you have a good DPM 2007 DB backup (or even if you don't, the old dpm2007 db remains after the upgrade) - you can always get back on DPM 2007 and try upgrade again.

Having said that, Robert has supplied the correct answer.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:10 PM
  • I am looking at a similar situation. We have new hardware and want to move to DPM 2010 from DPM 2007. What is the best way to approach this? I was considering moving DPM 2007 to the new hardware and then upgrading to DPM 2010 until I saw the "How to Migrate a DPM Server to New Hardware" article which says you need to repoint the agents to the new DPM server and keep the old server to access the recover points.

So now it looks like we need to create a new server and keep the old one until we have all the disk based recovery points on tape. Once they are on Tape then we can import the tapes and catalog them in DPM 2010 as required.

Mike, Robert, based on your comments is it not possible to import and catalog DPM 2007 tapes in DPM 2010?

TechNet references:
    How to Migrate a DPM Server to New Hardware
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808989.aspx

Thanks,
    Andrew

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

If you import tapes from one DPM server to another DPM server (does not matter the DPM versions, the tapes are forward / backward compatible) - and then re-catalog the tapes, you can only restore the files to a network share or a volume on a server containing a protection agent that the DPM server can communicate with.  The restore will not follow normal recovery flow  (restore to original location) especially for application data like SQL and exchange, you can only recover as flat files.  That is the main reason why I suggest to upgrade the DPM 2007 versus starting with a new installation of DPM 2010, especially when you have lots of LT tape backups with long retention ranges (many months or years).

See the upgrade advisor: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/upgrade-advisor-for-dpm-2010-now-available.aspx

The only reason to start over is if you cannot move your storage pool disks to the new hardware. (IE: You are using locally attached raid array storage on the old server that cannot be moved to the new server)

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Mike, I have a newbie question to your response to Andrew.  Don't ALL restores (from disk or tape, imported or not) have to be to a server with communicating protection agent?  Even if not, why is this a reason to upgrade vs. start over if I have lots of tapes with 99 year retention ranges?  I am trying to determine the best strategy to maintain a long term tape catalog over the next decade at least.
    Greg
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hi Greg,

I had to correct my original answer, I left out the very important word NOT....

<snip>
     The restore will NOT follow normal recovery flow  (restore to original location) especially for application data like SQL and exchange, you can only recover as flat files.  That is the main reason why I suggest to upgrade the DPM 2007 versus starting with a new installation of DPM 2010, especially when you have lots of LT tape backups with long retention ranges (many months or years).
    >snip<

So if you start over, - the only recovery option you will have after re-cataloging the tapes is to restore to a share or volume.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Hi Greg,

I had to correct my original answer, I left out the very important word NOT....

<snip>
     The restore will NOT follow normal recovery flow  (restore to original location) especially for application data like SQL and exchange, you can only recover as flat files.  That is the main reason why I suggest to upgrade the DPM 2007 versus starting with a new installation of DPM 2010, especially when you have lots of LT tape backups with long retention ranges (many months or years).
    >snip<

So if you start over, - the only recovery option you will have after re-cataloging the tapes is to restore to a share or volume.

I know this is an old thread, but i cant seem to find anyone to respond to my own thread on here

I have a dpm 2016 server i created, new hardware.. still have access to the old dpm 2012 r2 server which had a dlt library on it..

I need to be able to take the hardware offline for dpm 2012 and access old tape data (encrypted too) from dpm 2012 via the dpm 2016 server..

Is there no way to do this given my situation?

What about virtualizing the physical 2012 and somehow passing through the tape library for access (can this be done somehow)?

Tech, the Universe, Everything: http://tech-stew.com Just Plane Crazy http://flight-stew.com

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:32 PM