Dear old SATA and Vista problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody!

I bought a new computer a few days ago and assembled it alone. It's not something I haven't done already, so I hope that's not the problem. My configuration (or components of importance) is:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 E8400 (45nm)
    Asus P5K Motherboard (no deluxe or similar)
    Western Digital Hard Disk (320GB)
    nVidia XFX 8800GT 512MB
    Fortron 400W power supply

Now, the reason I wrote most of my component's isn't in vain. It is because the problems I've been experiencing might be due to some collision of components. And about the problems - I simply can't get Vista (Ultimate) on this computer. I mean, I can. But it won't start. I managed to install it and all went fine. I even got the "Wait while Windows start for the first time" message. But right after then, the system reboots, and I get the message to chose the OS I want to start (Safe mode, CP mode..). If I choose Safe mode, the installation cannot finish. If I choose Normal mode, it just reboots again, and I'm back at the beginning. First I thought it was the fact that the P5K motherboard does not support 45nm processors. I downloaded new BIOS form the official ASUS web page, and successfully updated it. Same thing. Then I thought that the problem was in the SATA disk. I went to ASUS web page once more, downloaded the newest drivers and using an USB flash memory installed the drivers during Windows setup. Again - same problem. I even tried installing XP, but it freezes at 39minutes to end part, during "Installing windows" (not realy freez, but goes in loop with the messages, but nothing happens for much more than 39 minutes). And just now, I tried the SATA disk driver install method and got the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" stop. I'm getting really desperate here. Is it possible that the power supply is to blame? Or something else? Any help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:28 AM

Answers

• I made it.. It was the faulty RAM device...
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:31 AM