way too many user profiles in sharePoint? RRS feed

• Question

• We recently craeted a custom profile connectino source pointing to a sister Active directory site that has a lot of turn over. I'm not sure how, somehow we managed to load in close to 200,000 profiles. I know.  I'm looking at these profile and while they seem unique, most are just garbage.  Many expired and temp accounts. some appear to be devices.

The side affect is a very slow address book lookup. Also, when we open a list in datasheet view and try to enter users into people columns not all users are available. I suspect that might be a problem even if we only had 32,000 user profiles.

Anyways,  Should we reduce what we are loading? If so, how? I don't see any where to create logic conditions in the import connections.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• While configuring th import connection to Active Directory in the User Profile Synchronization service application, you have the option to select specific Organizational Units of Active Directory. Typically user accounts are organized into these units based on certain criteria such as Active/In Active, Service Accont/User Account etc. If that's the case, then you can exclude these OUs from the import process.

Also, inactive accounts can be excluded using the connection filters.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee721049.aspx#FiltersProc

Regards

Prasad

• Edited by Guru Karnik Friday, January 14, 2011 8:47 AM More Info
    Friday, January 14, 2011 8:45 AM
  •  I'm looking to exclude accounts with no email and inactive accounts. Can somebody confirm I combined these correctly?

Thanks.

(&(objectCategory=Person)(objectClass=User)(!(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))(mail=*)(!userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Anybody? Actually I realize now I've got another problem too.  With that many profiles inside my farm.  How do I delete all those profiles without losing any changes users have made through sharePoint?  Any way to delete profiles already in SharePoint with that criteria?
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:23 AM