none
How to limit online search to specific public data sources RRS feed

• Question

• When doing an Online Search for a specific keyword, I'm usually overwhelmed by info from one source: Wikipedia. Not that I don't like Wikipedia, but I'd like to limit the search to only certain of the other public data sources enumerated here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/search-public-data-HA104030065.aspx#_Toc377730582

I thought limited using the "Data Source" button would work, and some public data sources (e.g. datasource:(Data.gov) ) this seems to work fine. However others like datasource:(Microsoft Azure Marketplace) retrieve nothing. I've also tried to enclose the source itself in single or double quotes like this: datasource:('Microsoft Azure Marketplace').

Is there a way to get do a search to get lists of data from a specific public data source that I missed? If there is, would it apply to only the 7 main public data sources listed on the "Search Public Data" page or would it also apply to those in the "detailed list"?

Cheers, Bob

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:12 PM

Answers

• You can use from:(source) to filter by the source. It will work for most of the data sources listed in the Search Public Data page, but some sources (such as the Microsoft Azure Marketplace) are not searchable since they are not providers themselves.

You can also exclude sources by using NOT in the search term. For example, the following will search for all data sources which are not Wikipedia:

searchTerm NOT from:(Wikipedia)

Thanks.

-Alejandro

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:16 PM