none
In the project plan tasks are linked with other project . link is changed at once without any reason with another project RRS feed

• Question

• one of my project named "Retail" which tasks are linked with another Project named "IT" at the project field.but now tasks of these project linked with "Admin" automatically . I dont know how.

For me it looks like all the links in Retail plan which should point to the IT plan have been replaced by a link do Admin. As of now the links are technically still pointing to IT but if one forces an update of the link by entering the cell and hitting enter it goes to Admin and screws up the whole thing. Luckily in these case the automatic update seems not to work. I checked as well the testing server were it looks to be ok so far (i.e. the links are going to IT and not to Admin). You find attached a word file with a print screen of the actual server (where it is wrong) and one of the test server (where it is right).

Live Project:

Test Project:

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:39 AM

Answers

• John,

What about the server aspect? Is that simply a description or is this whole structure being run on a remote server?

The fact that you are using a master/subproject construct and that you have problems with links is not surprising. Project's linking structure is not very robust and can be easily corrupted if a very disciplined file creation and maintenance is not practiced. If you have ever renamed, moved, "saved off" any part of the structure or operate it on a remote server as opposed to on your local hard drive, it is very likely you have a corrupt link structure. The solution will probably require that you re-build the whole structure and it is recommended that you use a static master structure instead of a dynamic master structure. The process to do all that is a little involved but first we need to understand the "server" aspect.

John

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• John,

Whoa, let's just back up a bit. Unfortunately the screen shots are too small and blurry to see much of anything. What is your file structure? Are you talking about a master file with inserted subprojects? Is this a resource pool file? What type of links are you using?

Explain more about the server aspect. How is fit into the file structure?

With more detailed background we will be better able to help you.

John

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Yes Master file with sub projects
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:17 PM
  • John,

What about the server aspect? Is that simply a description or is this whole structure being run on a remote server?

The fact that you are using a master/subproject construct and that you have problems with links is not surprising. Project's linking structure is not very robust and can be easily corrupted if a very disciplined file creation and maintenance is not practiced. If you have ever renamed, moved, "saved off" any part of the structure or operate it on a remote server as opposed to on your local hard drive, it is very likely you have a corrupt link structure. The solution will probably require that you re-build the whole structure and it is recommended that you use a static master structure instead of a dynamic master structure. The process to do all that is a little involved but first we need to understand the "server" aspect.

John

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:38 PM