none
samworker and qrproxy both dead RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a FAST farm that has 3 nodes that each have a qrserver.  On 2 out of the 3, I have the same problem: both samworker and qrproxy services are both dead.  I can see the services being started, hanging for a time, then being stopped and restarted, over and over again.  No logs are generated, nothing at all in the event log except messages from the service manager saying the services failed to start.

I have re-installed WIF, regenerated the certs, and ran psconfig.ps1 -action p.  I edited Microsoft...WorkerService.exe.config and uncommented the trace sections, and ditto for qrproxyservice.exe.config.  Still no logs that I can find, and there is no var\log\syslog directory.

I can find no differences between the two servers with the problem, and the one server that does not have the problem.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Maybe a network issue between the busted server and the other one?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:56 PM
  • The monitoring service also cannot start, and I think the monitoring service is more of a root cause.  I figured out that the monitoring service is supposed to initiate a LogServer service on port 13415, and I suspect the other services might be hung up because they cannot contact the local LogServer.  But this only gets me a tiny bit further, because I have no idea why the monitoring service won't start.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:11 PM
  • I figured out how to run the monitoring service in foreground diagnostics mode (monitoringservice.exe -d), and got an endless series of these exceptions:

System.Management.Instrumentation.WmiProviderInstallationException: Exception of type 'System.Management.Instrumentation.WMIInfraException' was thrown.
       at System.Management.Instrumentation.InstrumentationManager.Publish(Object obj)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.MonitoringService.App.MetricsThread.BootstrapWMI()
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:02 PM
  • After uninstalling Microsoft updates one at a time, figured out that the culprit was the KB2677070 update (from June).  This update is evil for FAST.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Interesting.  So removing it fixed the issue?
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Yes, after uninstalling that update and rebooting, all the services started up perfectly.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:57 PM