none
MOSS 2007 Enterprise with Project Server 2007 across two domains with SQL authentication RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to setup MOSS 2007 Enterprise with Project Server 2007 to use SQL authentication across two domains. There are 3 servers in the farm, one WFE and one APP server running on a DMZ domain, and one SQL server running on an internal domain. I've installed MOSS and Project Server on the WFE and APP servers and performed some post installation configuration for MOSS including turning on services, creating an SSP, and creating additional web applications and site collections. Each time I was given the chance to specify SQL authentication credentials. I experience an issue when I try to provision a Project Web Access site. I just have the option to provide the SQL machine name and no option to specify credentials. This is the error I receive on the APP server:

"Provisioning 'PWA': Failed to connect to database server <IP Address> with the exception Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.."

The two errors that show in the event viewer on the SQL server are:

"SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. [CLIENT: <correct client IP address>]"

"Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. [CLIENT: <correct client IP address>]"

Is this a supported configuration for Project Server 2007 with MOSS 2007 Enterprise? How can I know what account is being used to access the SQL server? It was my understanding that Project Server 2007 runs as a service in the SSP, leveraging the MOSS 2007 infrastructure. Any clarification on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hello DMS486

You cannot provide SQL authentication credentials during the provisioning.  You can only supply NTLM or Kerberos.  I think in your situation,  you may want to use Kerberos authentication.  It's a little tricker to set up, however, it probably will work better seeing that you have two different domains.

I am not sure why you would want two different domains.  What I think I would do, is setup project server 2007 using NTLM authentication and get that working.  Then I would setup a SQL authentication for those users requiring forms authentications.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:13 PM