32 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate - Not Recognizing 4GB of ram, only 2? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an ACER ASPIRE 9300-5317 Laptop, specs say will support up to 4GB or RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit claims it supports 4GB or more.  I cannot get my maching to recognize over 2GB for some reason. Can anyone help?
    Friday, August 12, 2011 2:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue is mostly caused by:

1. 2GB modules are not compatible each other. Please make sure they are the same model. DDR2 and DDR3 cannot work together.

2. The motherboard doesn't support 4GB RAM. You can update BIOS for testing.

Please understand the issue is related to hardware other than Windows 7. After upgrading to two 2G, please boot in BIOS to check if they are recognized successfully. If you even cannot boot in BIOS, please contact Acer support.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:43 AM
  •  

1. 2GB modules are not compatible each other. Please make sure they are the same model. DDR2 and DDR3 cannot work together.

While this is true, I'm pretty sure motherboards will either support DDR2 or DDR3, not both at the same time, so I don't think that'll be a problem since I think they have different aligning ridges.

And frazer, from your last reply it sounds more like your computer doesn't like one of 2 the sticks, so if possible as Niki said, make sure they are the same model and frequency, and check your motherboard's RAM limit. You should be able to find the specs of it including RAM limit online, and if it's a more recent one you might even find it on the tiger direct site which is very likely to list what the RAM limit it.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:14 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 32-bit (any flavour) will only address a maximum of 4GB of RAM theoretically, although your actual available RAM will be less than this because the upper memory ranges are used for system drivers, and possibly shared memory with your video card.

So to answer your question, you don't say, but I assume you have 4GB installed, but please confirm:

Is it the machine (BIOS) or Windows that can't see the full RAM?

Are you sharing RAM with your video card?

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:41 AM
  • The "normal" range of what a 32 bit OS can see depending on the hardware you have is usually between around 2.5-3.5 gigs, so 2 is a bit low for that. You might have some hardware that's got a lot of RAM reserved for it (for whatever reason) or you might have what I saw once where a very large portion of RAM is hardware reserved for no apparent reason. If you go into task manager by right clicking the start bar and selecting task manager, then go to the performance tab and hit the performance monitor button, then in the popup go to the memory tab, you'll be able to see where your RAM is being used/what it's being used on.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I originally had 2 512 modules in it, and it worked fine, roughly 256mb is allocated to hardware.

I upgraded to 2 2GB modules, and only 1 2gb module will work.  I have tested both slots and both 2gb modules separately, and they both work, and both slots work, but if

both 2 GB  modules are in at the same time, computer wont boot, just a black screen.

I can however use 1 2 GB and 1 512 module together and it works fine.

The only conclusion that i can think of is that it just wont handle both 2 gb modules at the same time for some reason?

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

The issue is mostly caused by:

2. The motherboard doesn't support 4GB RAM. You can update BIOS for testing.

Please understand the issue is related to hardware other than Windows 7. After upgrading to two 2G, please boot in BIOS to check if they are recognized successfully. If you even cannot boot in BIOS, please contact Acer support.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:43 AM
  •  

While this is true, I'm pretty sure motherboards will either support DDR2 or DDR3, not both at the same time, so I don't think that'll be a problem since I think they have different aligning ridges.

And frazer, from your last reply it sounds more like your computer doesn't like one of 2 the sticks, so if possible as Niki said, make sure they are the same model and frequency, and check your motherboard's RAM limit. You should be able to find the specs of it including RAM limit online, and if it's a more recent one you might even find it on the tiger direct site which is very likely to list what the RAM limit it.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:14 PM
  • does 2gb ram 8 chips will work together with 4 gb 16 chips which is both of them in DDR3 .?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:52 PM