none
I have a failing 1TB hd plugged with all manner of useless stuff from kids. Install disc corrupted beyond use, have 60 & 80 GB hds

Question

• How can I copy xp installation only to a smaller drive, programs don't matter, only xp, I will reinstall the few programs that I need.

I have the product code, but no install disc and need to transfer xp to a good drive very soon.  I'm afraid if I try to uninstall all the garbage, the drive will fail before I get done.  I do not think a cloning will clone to a smaller drive, don't have the disposable income to buy a drive that I don't need. 

Can this be done?  please help, thank you

bo4135

Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:02 AM

Answers

• You would have to strip off any useless data and programs to get the overall system down to 80GB or less and then you would need some cloning software that would claim to do what you want.

Search the internet for "clone to a smaller disk" and you will have several choices of cloning software.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:20 PM

All replies

• You would have to strip off any useless data and programs to get the overall system down to 80GB or less and then you would need some cloning software that would claim to do what you want.

Search the internet for "clone to a smaller disk" and you will have several choices of cloning software.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:20 PM
  • >>I have the product code, but no install disc

you could buy a windows cd. although you can probably find an .iso on the net and then use your product key on it.

Christmas spirit all year long Please remember to vote on useful replies. Mark answers. Help to answer questions of others while you are visting the forums. Thank you.

Thursday, November 02, 2017 2:55 AM
  • >>I have the product code, but no install disc

you could buy a windows cd. although you can probably find an .iso on the net and then use your product key on it.

Christmas spirit all year long Please remember to vote on useful replies. Mark answers. Help to answer questions of others while you are visting the forums. Thank you.

However, if you do find a Windows 7 .ISO on the web for download there is a very high probability the file is infected with some sort of malware or spyware as it is illegal to post such files!
    Thursday, November 02, 2017 10:49 AM