Windows - Network adapters RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for a public documentation that describe how Windows OS design which adapter card to use. For example, my laptop has both a wired and a wireless network adapters; both are setup and active. When I run ipconfig, I do see that both adapters have IP address assigned (by DHCP server). However, if I look at the forwarding table, the wired IP address is used. Now if my network cable is unpluged, the wireless IP address will be used in the forwarding table. It seems that the wired IP address always has the higher precedence. However, after a day searching on internet, I could not find a concrete document to back this up. Also, what if I have more than one wired network adapters; or more than one wireless network adapters; which one will be used?

Another question is that when I use WMI to qurey for the AdapterType from Win32_NetworkAdapter, it always returns ethernet even for a wireless adapter. Could someone please tell me why?

BTW, I wish to know this information for any Windows OS from Windows 2000 to Vista.

Thank you very much,

Doan

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:40 PM

Answers