can't connect to the network when resuming from sleep mode RRS feed

• Question

• can't tell what's going on. For a few days I can't connect immediately after resuming the system sleep mode. Several symptoms:

sometimes I can connect immediately but a few seconds mater I can't anymore, then 15 secs later it's ok.

sometimes I can't connect at all immediately, and 15 secs later yes.

When this happens, my wireless tray icon looks either okay or shows an exlamation mark with no internet access, although the router is perfectly connected and another system can connect on it.

If I attempt to disallow power management for the wireless adapter it's worse, I can't even access the router when resuming from sleep mode. I once got the message that the adapter was removed :). Okay this happens with any driver, the latest one as well as a few older. This also happens after a full reinstall of Windows, with no security software installed at all yet. The thing is I checked that after Windows got fully updated, so I suspect a Windows update could be responsible for that mess. This is really, really annoying. Thanks.

ps: running W7/64 Ultimate.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 10:58 PM

Answers

• okay just found, not sure if that's pure hazard, can't tell if that's gonna last or not: the issue seems to be solved when I deactivate some functions of my router firewall (Netgear). It's just a (software) switch on/off, no configuration is accessible. Problem is I had it on for quite a long time with no problem at all..and it seems to be one now. Could be a firmware update from my ISP...the functions this switch controls are not the firewall completely, but just some features, as described: "When Firewall Features are enabled, the gateway will perform Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. Most likely useless on a desktop computer.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 13, 2010 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 8:05 PM

All replies

• Just out of curiousity, does this issue occur when resuming the system from sleep when using an Ethernet adapter or does it occur only with the wireless adapter?

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Just out of curiousity, does this issue occur when resuming the system from sleep when using an Ethernet adapter or does it occur only with the wireless adapter?

wanted to check that yesterday before posting but I stupidly couldn't find an ethernet cable. Got one today and just tried, and yes, the issue is the same when cabled , i.e. connectivity issues when resuming from sleep mode, noticing some unexplained hard disk activity too when it happens. So that's may be not a hardware issue. I actually couldn't believe that my wi-fi adapter had a problem as apart from the sleep mode issue, I don't have disconnections at all using it. The issue must be somewhere in Windows, and again, may be related to a recent update. Any clue on how to solve that appreciated.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Would you try to update the driver (check for network interface card manufacturer website)? We have also this problem and it might help.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Would you try to update the driver (check for network interface card manufacturer website)? We have also this problem and it might help.

thanks but as said, I'm already running the latest available version, so there's nothing to update. And again, after checking that the issue also occurred on a wired (ethernet) connection, sounds like my wireless adapter wasn't the problem, neither the hardware nor the driver.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 12:36 PM
  • I think this is a bigger problem that hasnt been completely resolved yet. There are many similar questions in this forum for this, and we ourselves have seen this issue.

So far our resolution was to set a fixed IP address so the Firewall profile went back to domain, then we could return to DHCP. But if the machine was to sleep then we would lose it.

A Resolution is welcome here too!

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:03 PM
  • yeah...I use to have this problem before when using a particular firewall (Avast5 firewall). I then stopped using it because of this, and the sleep mode issue disappeared. At Avast they were saying they couldn't reproduce the issue. Anyway I ditched that firewall until I decided to give a shot to a new version of it a few days ago. Sleep mode issue came back as almost expected, but I was was quite surprised that it didn't go away this time after uninstalling this firewall. I had a few other issues so I decided to reinstall Windows , and got even more surprised to find out that the sleep mode issue was still there on a new install, with nothing else installed yet then Windows updates.

I mean this is completely frustrating somehow, because Windows Seven is by far the OS that can wake a system the fastest from sleep mode, takes about two secs, but then you got that crazy wait until network connectivity is back. As said sometimes the network is immediately there, but you lose it, and then it comes back...okay, hope we get some feedback from MS.

Monday, August 9, 2010 2:56 PM
  • I've seen this issue occur before with ethernet adapters on older machines running Windows 7 (if my memory serves me correctly it was a Realtek onboard network card), but could never reproduce the issue consistently. For the sake of troubleshooting and documenting the issue at hand, what specific network cards are installed in the machine?
    Monday, August 9, 2010 6:26 PM

•  I've seen this issue occur before with ethernet adapters on older machines running Windows 7 (if my memory serves me correctly it was a Realtek onboard network card), but could never reproduce the issue consistently. For the sake of troubleshooting and documenting the issue at hand, what specific network cards are installed in the machine?

okay for the sake of that then :) I got an onboard Atheros wireless adapter and a Marvell Yukon ethernet controller, connectivity issues being affected after sleep mode with both. Adding, it's more and more obvious that the system is connected when resuming from sleep mode and loses network access about 10 seconds later, to recover it about 15 seconds later.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Does this happen when resuming from hibernation or just sleep mode specifically?
    Monday, August 9, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Does this happen when resuming from hibernation or just sleep mode specifically?
    didn't send the system to hibernation since the issue started to happen. I was actually wondering and tried just now and yes, it does happen after hibernation too. Just the same scenario, I can connect first, and then I lose network access completely etc...
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Interesting... I wish I knew more on what is causing this issue, hopefully somebody either from Microsoft or someone else who's encountered this issue before and has managed to resolve it can shed some light on this. I'll keep digging in the meantime...
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:24 PM
  • yeah, the only lead I got so far is that there has been quite a lot of Windows updates recently, and only MS could tell which one might have provoked this network issue...in the meantime thanks or your feedback ;)
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:46 PM
  • okay just found, not sure if that's pure hazard, can't tell if that's gonna last or not: the issue seems to be solved when I deactivate some functions of my router firewall (Netgear). It's just a (software) switch on/off, no configuration is accessible. Problem is I had it on for quite a long time with no problem at all..and it seems to be one now. Could be a firmware update from my ISP...the functions this switch controls are not the firewall completely, but just some features, as described: "When Firewall Features are enabled, the gateway will perform Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. Most likely useless on a desktop computer.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 13, 2010 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Check the Advanced properties of your NIC driver, Power Management, and make sure you tick the second box. Read the Warning on that tab to understand why.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:39 PM