Assignment stuck on "Wait Process" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

A contributor has performed a Submit-Final on an assignment, and the assignment stays in a "Wait Process" state indefinitely.  The assignment can be overridden to "Submitted" through Planning Business Modeler (PBM).

This is a single server, and all services are running.  Planning Process Service poll interval is reduced to 10 seconds from the default 60.

Any suggestions to get the assignment state to advance automatically properly?

Thank you.

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:51 PM

Answers

• I double-checked the rights, and now all appears to be in order.

I suspected some unknown corruption when I started noticing erratic errors so I restored everything to an earlier known working state (databases, model, everything) and it is all working again.  I do have to reload some plan data, but the process is working properly now.

Thank you to all for your input.

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:33 PM

All replies

• Could you check what is the "OLAP Cube Refresh Interval"?

The status would turn to "Submitted" only after the cube reprocessing job runs, which runs at the above interval.

Friday, April 18, 2008 8:50 PM
  • This is set to 60 seconds.  Even after hours it has not changed status, however.

(Sorry for the delay in responding -- my alert didn't fire.)

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Hi Michael,

1. Please confirm PPSPlanningService is running

2. Please confirm ModelSite and it's subsites are deployed (check AS)

3. Do you see any errors in event log/server log?

4. Does restarting PPSPlanningService help?

Regards

Sridharan

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I've had this happen when one or more of my assignment business rules have resulted in unduly long cube processing.  I had one rule that when I tried to run it manually, it timed out after over 6 hours.  To tell if this is the problem you can try temporarily disabling any assignment rules and see if it is still stuck (assuming you have a test environment to do this).

HTH,
    Erin

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:51 PM
  • The Planning Process Service is running, and the ModelSite is deployed.  There are no subsites.
    Querying this cube with ProClarity was how I initially discovered that the submission wasn't reaching the cube.

Restarting the PPS service doesn't help, but the Application Log shows the following:

-----------------------

Cannot get connection for SHEAVM2Stick out tonguePSPlanningSystem

App Domain: PPSPlanningService.exe
    Culture: en-US
    Host: sheavm2
    Identity: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Message Id: PerformancePoint_110010006
    Process: 1864
    Severity: Error
    Source: PerformancePoint Server Asynchronous Jobs

-----------------------
    Error while executing database command:  Cannot open database "PPSPlanningSystem" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.

App Domain: PPSPlanningService.exe
    Culture: en-US
    Host: sheavm2
    Identity: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Message Id: PerformancePoint_110011080
    Process: 1864
    Severity: Warning
    -----------------------

SQLSERVER
    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
    -----------------------

The PPS service is presently running under Local System credentials.

Thank you for your help thus far.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:17 PM
  • PPSPlanningService should be running with an Identity that has access to PPSPlanningSystem / App dbs. This is the reason why processing has failed, thus preventing the movement of assignment status to "Submitted".

What's the identity with which the front end webservice is running? Please try using the same identity for PPSPlanningService.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:52 PM
  • It was running under a Local System account, but I just now switched it back to 'ppsservice' which is part of the administrators group.  I restarted the Planning Process Service but it's still in a "Wait Process" state even after waiting

I'm unclear what you mean by the front end webservice (World Wide Web Publishing Service?)  Is there a specific service should I ensure identity matches the Planning Process Service?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:19 PM
  • I should comment that I also noted these events:

Failure Audit:
    Login failed for user 'SHEAVM2\ppsservice'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
    SOURCE:  MSSQLSERVER
    ------------------------------
    Warning:
    Unable to connect to SQL Server <myservername> database PPSPlanningSystem; will retry 30 additional times.

Most of the services are running with a Local System account.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Can you double check if ppsservice has permissions to connect to the PPSPlanningSystem using SQL Server Management Studio?

Also check the Identity used in "PPSPlanningWebServicesAppPool" hosted in IIS.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:15 PM
  • ppsservice was part of the administrators group.  I have just now granted the ppsservice account datareader and datawriter access to PPSPlanningSystem.  The PPSPlanningWebServicesAppPool is using the identity ppsservice.

I restarted the entire system, but it's still stuck on "wait process"

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:09 PM
  • And, do you see any messages in the Log?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:15 PM
  • The event log still shows the Failure Audit and the PPS 30 time retry warning.

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Correction.  The Failure Audit message is gone.

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Hi Erin,

Thank you for the reply. My assignment is pretty small and straightforward.  It is in a test environment, so I can try anything.  It does appear to remain stuck.

Michael

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:30 PM
  • 1. If you override the status to "Started" and do the submission again, does it move forward from Wait Process state?

2. Do you see any left over records in dirtypartitions table in app db?

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:37 PM
  •  

Hi Michael,

Not sure whether this was checked before, but what is the state of SQL Server Service Broker on your PPS-P - application database?

- Adrian Downes

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:40 PM
  • 1.  I overrode the status and did the submission again, and it moved to Pending then back to Wait Process again.

2.  There are 16 records in the dirtypartitions table in the app DB.

Thank you for your assistance.

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

I executed SELECT is_broker_enabled FROM sys.databases WHERE name = DBName_AppDB and it is enabled.

There is a new warning in the event viewer which may provide additional insight:
    "Cannot get connection for serverStick out tonguePSPlanningSystem"
    Source:  PerformancePoint Server Asynchronous Jobs

In going over the event log, I noticed another information entry from MSSQLSERVER:
    The Service Broker protocol transport is disabled or not configured.

I have not knowingly altered the Service Broker configuration from before when the assignments were advancing properly.

Thank you.

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:21 PM
  •  

Hi Michael,

Given the error message, you may want to look a little deeper at the transport protocol issue... double-check the Surface Area Configuration on the server running your PPS-P Application DB.... further insights are available, at the following link, http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1197. More information is available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166061.aspx.

Hope this helps,

- AD

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:14 PM
  • ...this link may be helpful as well....

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181825.aspx

if you are able to identify the last conversation handle as a GUID, and, if it returns an error message as shown in the link, then the problem likely stems from Service Broker being enabled, but unable to communicate over your network (are you  using a distributed configuration for your solution?).

-- AD

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the information links.

All the tests in the first link show no issues.

I surmise that I have a configuration error of the Service Broker. 

"The Service Broker protocol transport is disabled or not configured."

It is a single-machine configuration, single instance of SQL Server.

The Surface Area configuration indicates that my instance does not have an endpoint.

I've been unable to identify the last conversation GUID.  I was thinking that the PPS Plan Operational Reports might help, but so far I've been unable to get those running due to some parameter issues I believe.

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Michael, you might try redeploying the model site.  I've encountered this type of assignment "Wait Process" issue before, and that resolved it.  Not sure that will fix your issue, but it's worth a try.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:22 AM
  • The ppsservice account should have DBO rights on all the DB'd in question, process, planning and AppDB. In addition the service should have create DB rights on the SQL Server. I think you still have access rights issues.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 3:56 PM
  • I double-checked the rights, and now all appears to be in order.

I suspected some unknown corruption when I started noticing erratic errors so I restored everything to an earlier known working state (databases, model, everything) and it is all working again.  I do have to reload some plan data, but the process is working properly now.

Thank you to all for your input.

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:33 PM
  • This was a good idea, and one I had tried.  Unfortunately in my case it didn't fix it.

I did resolve it...please see other post.

Thank you.

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same issue and redeploying the model site solve the issue; but i can't understand why we need to redeploy the model site ? in theroy the model hasn't change...

Thanks if you have a idea,
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:42 PM