Sending E-Mail using a GAL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My employers have recently upgraded the network and we now benefit from the use of GAL's. I have a quick question though and was hoping for some help. I am part of a GAL that some users may need to use to contact my department. Therefore it is correct that I am part of this GAL. However, if I want to email colleagues from within my department I want to use the same GAL. Is it possible for me to set up a rule or change a setting that means if I send out an e-mail to a GAL that I am part of then it can be set up to miss me out (essentially stopping me from receiving emails I am sending to everyone else on the list).

I realise I could just create a distribution list that does not include me but I am conscious of the fact that GAL's are supposed to streamline use of Outlook.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph Kane

Scotland

UK

Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

GAL is a shared address list and all the user in the organization can use this address list.

So when you remove the member from DL all other users will be affected.

If you are using Exchange 2010 you can configure "Membership Approval Options of Static Distribution Lists"

1. Open. Anyone can join this group without being approved by the group owners.

2. Open. Anyone can leave this group without being approved by the group owners.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/managing-distribution-lists-exchange-server-2010.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, October 14, 2011 6:44 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:48 AM

All replies

• I should have mentioned that the GAL is dynamically linked to a user group. It is a group that I can not add or delete recipients from when I try to expand the list before sending. When I expand the list all I get is the lists name. With other lists created from within Outlook I can manually delete recipients in the same way I would if a distribution list were used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Joseph Kane

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Hi,

GAL is a shared address list and all the user in the organization can use this address list.

So when you remove the member from DL all other users will be affected.

If you are using Exchange 2010 you can configure "Membership Approval Options of Static Distribution Lists"

1. Open. Anyone can join this group without being approved by the group owners.

2. Open. Anyone can leave this group without being approved by the group owners.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/managing-distribution-lists-exchange-server-2010.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, October 14, 2011 6:44 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:48 AM