none
#550 5.1.4 RESOLVER.ADR.Ambiguous; ambiguous address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have an outside vendor who is getting an undeliverable when sending to a mail-enabled distribution group (the group only has 1 address in it currently).  Below are the headers of the undeliverable:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists: 

'service@domain.com'
    There is a problem with the recipient's e-mail system. More than one user has this e-mail address. The recipient's system administrator will have to fix this. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator and then try resending the message after the problem has been resolved.

_____  

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: MIHQEXHUBTCAS01.aaa-acg.net

service@domain.com
    5.1.4 RESOLVER.ADR.Ambiguous; ambiguous address ##

Original message headers:

Received: from MIHQEXCHMB001.aaa-acg.net ([169.254.1.61]) by
     MIHQEXHUBTCAS01.aaa-acg.net ([204.78.135.245]) with mapi; Fri, 28 Oct 2011
     09:20:22 -0400
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: "'service@tricorinsurance.com'" <service@domain.com>
    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:20:21 -0400
    Subject: this is a test
    Thread-Topic: this is a test
    Thread-Index: AcyVdFhH7P2wDbmFQP6yEsa7pzXl7Q==
    Message-ID: <27E57AF97CB3A34B9B8582E3982698A41A3562A224@MIHQEXCHMB001.aaa-acg.net>
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <27E57AF97CB3A34B9B8582E3982698A41A3562A224@MIHQEXCHMB001.aaa-acg.net>
    MIME-Version: 1.0

I have attempted to track down the duplicate user/group/public folder but can't seem to find it.  I also did a search in Active Directory by doing a custom search using the following command but the only match was the correct distribution group that we are having the issue with:

(&(objectCategory=*) (proxyaddresses=smtp:something@somewhere.com))

Any ideas on how I track down the duplicate?

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:58 PM

Answers

• On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 20:35:54 +0000, bruce friederick wrote:

>Maybe the problem isn't yours? Have they looked in their directory to see if the address exists more than once? Check your SMTP receive protocol log and see if you can find the SMTP conversation where the RCPT TO command is rejected when it arrives from their server's IP address.
    >
    >This is an outside company sending to our server...how would it show up in their directory?

By them adding the address as a mail-enabled Contact or User, just as
    you might add addresses to your directory for frequently used
    destinations in other e-mail systems.

>or do you mean address book or contact list?

No, I meant directory.

>How do I check the SMTP receive protocol log?

Do you have "Verbose" logging enabled on your receive connector(s)?

The default location for the "receive" log files is "C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft\Exchange
    Server\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive".

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Maybe mail-enabled contacts or mail-enabled user in their domain. I have seen a similar issue, it was two contacts have the same smtp address.

Since the NDR generating server is in sender’s domain, I am more sure this issue is in their domain, I suggest you ask their administrator to help you troubleshoot in their domain.

If you want to check the SMTP receive protocol log, you can refer to this document:

Configure Protocol Logging

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531.aspx

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:40 AM
  • On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:55:29 +0000, bruce friederick wrote:

>
    >
    >Maybe mail-enabled contacts or mail-enabled user in their domain. I have seen a similar issue, it was two contacts have the same smtp address.
    >
    >
    >
    >Since the NDR generating server is in sender?s domain, I am more sure this issue is in their domain, I suggest you ask their administrator to help you troubleshoot in their domain.
    >
    >
    >
    >If you want to check the SMTP receive protocol log, you can refer to this document:
    >
    >
    >
    >Configure Protocol Logging
    >
    >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531.aspx
    >
    >
    >
    >The sender does not seem to think that just because the NDR was generated from their server that the issue is on their end.

It's easy enough to tell. Have them check their SMTP protocol log. I
    don't know why admins think it's some sort of big deal to do this. If
    they get the error from your machine then it's your problem. If the
    error comes from somewhere else you're off the hook.

>Why/how would they set up a mail-enabled contact or user in their domain that points to an outside domain?

So people don't have to remember a SMTP address.

>We don't do any of that at my organization...is that a common thing to do?

Yes.

>I did read through how to turn on the receive protocol logs and believe it is on but I don't know how to check or read them?

Why not just post the address that's supposedly duplicated? It's a
    pretty easy thing to do to send an e-mail to it -- you could do it
    from a hotmail/yahoo/aol e-mail account and then you'd know if your
    organization sends the error.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:21 PM

All replies

• I also want to add that we do NOT get an undeliverable when sending internally or from an outside account and many vendors are sending to this address and only 1 has reported the issue so far and they can duplicate it from different users at their company.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:59 PM
  • On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:59:35 +0000, bruce friederick wrote:

>I also want to add that we do NOT get an undeliverable when sending internally or from an outside account and many vendors are sending to this address and only 1 has reported the issue so far and they can duplicate it from different users at their company.

Maybe the problem isn't yours? Have they looked in their directory to
    see if the address exists more than once?

Check your SMTP receive protocol log and see if you can find the SMTP
    conversation where the RCPT TO command is rejected when it arrives
    from their server's IP address.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Agree with Rich.

Is this Sever “MIHQEXHUBTCAS01.aaa-acg.net” in your domain or in the sender’s domain?

According from the NDR and your description, this error may occur in the origination organization. Maybe they have two objects have the same SMTP address.

You can ask their administrator to check in their domain.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Maybe the problem isn't yours? Have they looked in their directory to
    see if the address exists more than once?

This is an outside company sending to our server...how would it show up in their directory?  or do you mean address book or contact list?

How do I check the SMTP receive protocol log? 

Thanks for you help so far

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Agree with Rich.

Is this Sever “MIHQEXHUBTCAS01.aaa-acg.net” in your domain or in the sender’s domain?

According from the NDR and your description, this error may occur in the origination organization. Maybe they have two objects have the same SMTP address.

You can ask their administrator to check in their domain.

That server is in their domain.  I don't see how something on their end would cause that error?  The server generating the error appears to be theirs but it looks like it sees 2 SMTP objects on our end and our server kicks back saying that it doesn't know which to deliver to.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:31 PM
  • On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 20:35:54 +0000, bruce friederick wrote:

>Maybe the problem isn't yours? Have they looked in their directory to see if the address exists more than once? Check your SMTP receive protocol log and see if you can find the SMTP conversation where the RCPT TO command is rejected when it arrives from their server's IP address.
    >
    >This is an outside company sending to our server...how would it show up in their directory?

By them adding the address as a mail-enabled Contact or User, just as
    you might add addresses to your directory for frequently used
    destinations in other e-mail systems.

>or do you mean address book or contact list?

No, I meant directory.

>How do I check the SMTP receive protocol log?

Do you have "Verbose" logging enabled on your receive connector(s)?

The default location for the "receive" log files is "C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft\Exchange
    Server\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive".

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Maybe mail-enabled contacts or mail-enabled user in their domain. I have seen a similar issue, it was two contacts have the same smtp address.

Since the NDR generating server is in sender’s domain, I am more sure this issue is in their domain, I suggest you ask their administrator to help you troubleshoot in their domain.

If you want to check the SMTP receive protocol log, you can refer to this document:

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:40 AM
  •  

How do I do this?  I do have the "verbose" logging turned on the DEFAULT receive connector but there was another called "CLIENT" that was not turned on, so I turned that one on also.  I did see some log files in the directory you specified but I don't know how to read them...
    Friday, November 4, 2011 7:52 PM

The sender does not seem to think that just because the NDR was generated from their server that the issue is on their end.  Why/how would they set up a mail-enabled contact or user in their domain that points to an outside domain?  We don't do any of that at my organization...is that a common thing to do?

I did read through how to turn on the receive protocol logs and believe it is on but I don't know how to check or read them?

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:55 PM
  • On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:52:28 +0000, bruce friederick wrote:

> Check your SMTP receive protocol log and see if you can find the SMTP conversation where the RCPT TO command is rejected when it arrives from their server's IP address. How do I do this? I do have the "verbose" logging turned on the DEFAULT receive connector but there was another called "CLIENT" that was not turned on, so I turned that one on also. I did see some log files in the directory you specified but I don't know how to read them...

Use Notepad (or a grep if you have one that works with Windows).
    They're just text files.

Look for "ambiguous".

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:16 PM
  • On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:55:29 +0000, bruce friederick wrote:

>
    >
    >Maybe mail-enabled contacts or mail-enabled user in their domain. I have seen a similar issue, it was two contacts have the same smtp address.
    >
    >
    >
    >Since the NDR generating server is in sender?s domain, I am more sure this issue is in their domain, I suggest you ask their administrator to help you troubleshoot in their domain.
    >
    >
    >
    >If you want to check the SMTP receive protocol log, you can refer to this document:
    >
    >
    >
    >Configure Protocol Logging
    >
    >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531.aspx
    >
    >
    >
    >The sender does not seem to think that just because the NDR was generated from their server that the issue is on their end.

It's easy enough to tell. Have them check their SMTP protocol log. I
    don't know why admins think it's some sort of big deal to do this. If
    they get the error from your machine then it's your problem. If the
    error comes from somewhere else you're off the hook.

>Why/how would they set up a mail-enabled contact or user in their domain that points to an outside domain?

So people don't have to remember a SMTP address.

>We don't do any of that at my organization...is that a common thing to do?

Yes.

>I did read through how to turn on the receive protocol logs and believe it is on but I don't know how to check or read them?

Why not just post the address that's supposedly duplicated? It's a
    pretty easy thing to do to send an e-mail to it -- you could do it
    from a hotmail/yahoo/aol e-mail account and then you'd know if your
    organization sends the error.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hello,

Why/how would they set up a mail-enabled contact or user in their domain that points to an outside domain?

Mail contacts are mail-enabled Active Directory objects that contain information about people or organizations that exist outside your Exchange organization. Each mail contact has an external e-mail address. Use Mail contacts people can no need to remember the SMTP address, people can find the contacts from address book.

We don't do any of that at my organization...is that a common thing to do?

Yes

I did read through how to turn on the receive protocol logs and believe it is on but I don't know how to check or read them?

After you enable the Smtp receive protocol logs, try to test again(send email from sender domain), then try to check for the logs.

The default location for receive log files is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

Try to find the record for the test email.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Any update on this?  i have the same issue?
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:09 AM
  • I have the same issue with three accounts of users that left the company and due to corporate policy their accounts were to be deleted after a short period of time.  Then they came back to our company  and  they get a similar error in which either it tells the user that the account is a duplicate or that it could not find it.  The work around it, was to clear the nk2 file form the user's outlook, disable the cache and resync it again and that solved the problem, but doing this to all users may not be the best solution.  I was told this had to do with the X400 file and a push to update the local cache  to all the outlook clients via exchange.  Perhaps, I am not being precise with the terms but there is the idea.  The duplicate can get fixed by adding the X400 record of the old account, that is what I was told, I guess you would have to look at the toombstone accounts to retrieve that data.  The second issue, nondeliverable cause it could not find it, clearing the cache  or push a sync from the excthange server.  Let me know what your thouhgts are.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:40 PM