Mouse does not select active window, I click on SHOW THE DESKTOP on task bar and it works a bit.perhaps this is Mouse related. RRS feed

• Question

• The problem that I'm having is that my mouse sporadically "unfocuses" my current active window when I click, and will not interact with anything onscreen. The computer isn't freezing, you can still move the mouse but can’t click on anything. You also can’t click and drag. Also the mouse looks like a standard pointer, not the spinning blue circle. There is no visible active window, it's as if there is an invisible window on top of everything else, that stops the clicks from going through. When this happens, mousing over things doesn't provoke a response; For instance - Mousing over a link in a webpage doesn't turn the cursor into a hand signifying a clickable link. The keyboard still responds perfectly, and all programs continue running normally. This occurs at any given time, while on or offline.
    When this problem happens, I can press ctrl-alt-delete, and click once anywhere on that blue screen to make the mouse begin to respond again. Then I click cancel and go back to whatever I was doing for anywhere between 5 seconds and 30 minutes when the problem happens again

jerrymoose
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1. When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration.

2. Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

At this point, I would suggest run a full disk scan using your antivirus software to make sure the system is free of virus.

To troubleshoot, certain things you can try are to find out the root cause of the problem are given below.

1.  Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

2.  Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1. When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration.

2. Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

At this point, I would suggest run a full disk scan using your antivirus software to make sure the system is free of virus.

To troubleshoot, certain things you can try are to find out the root cause of the problem are given below.

1.  Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

2.  Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:42 AM
  • I had the EXACT same problem.

After a lot of messing around I discovered that my mouse's middle mouse button (it's also a scroll wheel) was broken and jammed on. I didn't notice this because I never actually use the scroll wheel as a button. When I swapped my mouse for a new one, the problem stopped.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:17 PM