shutdown.exe gives no countdown timer window RRS feed

• Question

• I have a batch file that calls shutdown.exe with a timeout value as a parameter. So I might call it with 20 minutes (value 1200) if I've left my machine doing something that will be finished within that time. I have a bunch of these shortcuts to different pre-defined times, and one for aborting a shutdown.

When I did this on XP, I always got a little window that showed the number of seconds remaining before the shutdown happened. I don't get this window on Win7. How can I get it? It doesn't look like any of the shutdown.exe parameters would enable it. While testing all of my shortcuts (and aborting after the systray showed me a very brief message about how long the shutdown period is) there was one mysterious instance of the shutdown countdown window appearing. I don't know how or why, but I never saw it again.

I want this window because what I usually do is move this window next to the task I've left running (e.g. backing up the VHD of a VM) and then I turn on the magnifier and I can see from the other side of the room how long the copy operation has remaining and how long the shutdown countdown has remaining. If I see the countdown timer drop below the time remaining on my copy operation, I can go over to it and deal with it.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    we really understand this made you frustrated. however, this feature was no longer available because of the development during the procedure. 

As a workaroud, you may use RDP to contact the computer, then check the time in the guest computer.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    we really understand this made you frustrated. however, this feature was no longer available because of the development during the procedure. 

As a workaroud, you may use RDP to contact the computer, then check the time in the guest computer.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

Whilst the standard shutdown.exe in Windows 7 does not support a countdown, you're still able to create a similar experience - a shutdown window with a countdown, and even a cancel button.

An example of this can be found here:

HTA Script - Shutdown script and warning message
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:46 AM