SharePoint Patches RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm going to be patching SharePoint Enterprise and unsure of the current Patch. Under PatchStatus.aspx the following is listed, I believe the last patch applied is Dec CU 2015 (15.0.4753.1000). Could this be confirmed pls?

My colleague has suggested updating all OS on all machines first and then apply a SharePoint CU update on the  two SP Servers that's a few months old (say Jan 2017), just in case of an issue.  Is this recommended?

We have been experiencing some Distributed Cache error on occasions and are hoping the SP CU's will pick these up.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi

Reason it is not recommended because once Microsoft release a new CU they roll out with Window Security update and the CU has not been tested by multiple user across the globe. So you are not very sure what that SP patch can break or it contains any bug.

It is always good to wait for sometime and check the URL mentioned in Previous comments to see if that CU has any bugs or it is breaking some functionality in SP.

Yes App fabric also manually.

Mark it as an answer if it helped you out. Regards Rahul Dagar

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi

Open Central Admin > System Settings > Manage servers in Farm.

Check the build number there and confirm it on below site

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=346

The patch number you mentioned is from Sep CU 2015.

It is always good to keep your window update but make sure you never install any SharePoint Update thru Window update (recently Microsoft releasing SharePoint Update with Window update).

Yes it will good to install JAN CU because with latest CU release you can't be 100% sure its bug or issue free.

Old CU means many people have installed and tested.

You can also find bug and regression test for the patch on above mentioned URL.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Hi Jones,

Is there any update?

If the post help you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the similar question quickly.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:22 AM
  • Hi there,

Here is a good blog from where you can take the powershell script and see the current build version.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/stefan_gossner/2015/04/20/powershell-script-to-display-version-info-for-installed-sharepoint-product-and-language-packs/

I hope it helps.

Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:25 AM
  • Hi

Grace mentioned :
    It is always good to keep your window update but make sure you never install any SharePoint Update thru Window update (recently Microsoft releasing SharePoint Update with Window update).

Are you referring to the Windows Security updates, I've realised whilst carrying this out, the automatic Windows updates have indeed installed security patches for SharePoint on both the Application and WFE server in test. However I have not yet installed a newer CU for SharePoint. All seems to be working ok though.

Could I ask why is it not advised to allow Windows Security Updates for SharePoint servers?

PS The AppFabric may also require updating manually?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Hi

Reason it is not recommended because once Microsoft release a new CU they roll out with Window Security update and the CU has not been tested by multiple user across the globe. So you are not very sure what that SP patch can break or it contains any bug.

It is always good to wait for sometime and check the URL mentioned in Previous comments to see if that CU has any bugs or it is breaking some functionality in SP.

Yes App fabric also manually.

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Build numbers: http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=346

Windows, SharePoint and AFCache are updated separately, each has it's own process.

It is highly recommended test updates before implementing in production.
    For production farm consider slightly conservative strategy like "minus 3", i.e. to install CU 3 month older than current.

Check for regressions: http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Regressions/

InSpe Computers

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:38 AM