none
"The Group Policy settings for BitLocker startup options are in conflict and cannot be applied." RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

I just had the same issue today, so here is what doesn't work with you :

If you have a motherboard and a BIOS compatible with a TPM, you can uncheck the first option "Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM".

Then, Microsoft has made a mistake with the terms that are being used (in my point of view) : in fact, you have to understand you cannot "require" an option if you "allow" some others...

So you have 2 choices :

- either you "allow" each option so you can choose which one when you set Bitlocker on,

- or you can "require" an option and disable all the others, so you will not be able to make a choice when you set bitlocker on.

I hope that is clear enough...

- Tibap.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I just had the same issue today, so here is what doesn't work with you :

If you have a motherboard and a BIOS compatible with a TPM, you can uncheck the first option "Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM".

Then, Microsoft has made a mistake with the terms that are being used (in my point of view) : in fact, you have to understand you cannot "require" an option if you "allow" some others...

So you have 2 choices :

- either you "allow" each option so you can choose which one when you set Bitlocker on,

- or you can "require" an option and disable all the others, so you will not be able to make a choice when you set bitlocker on.

I hope that is clear enough...

- Tibap.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

I just had the same problem with Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit after a restore of OS from an image backup. After the restore i had to enable Bitlocker again.

What i did was following Tibap's tip with setting each option to "allow" and since that did not help solving it. I had to leave the domain i was a part of and login with a computer account. Then i could successfully enable Bitlocker again and of cource re-join the domain.

-Richard

Friday, November 1, 2013 7:29 PM
  • Just experienced this setting up Windows 10.

I had both Require TPM and Require TPM & PIN with the other settings Do Not Allow.

Had to Change Require TPM to Do not allow TPM with just Require startup PIN with TPM.

THANKS!

-Brian

Friday, December 4, 2015 7:32 PM
  • Thanks Tibap, that worked for me!
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:47 PM
  • I am working to resolve an issue with OS Drive(C Drive) encryption for one of Windows 10 New PC, I am getting the follwing error .

"There are conflicting settings for recovery options.  When a recovery password is required, backup to active directory should be turned on or the user should be required to save the recovery password."

Any ideas?

Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Yes, you are correct and this solved my issue! Even if I'm not using TPM and I put a check in the first box, "Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM", I still had to go and allow all other options to startup with PIN. 
    Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:24 PM