Generic Volume: the required section was not found in the inf RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I experience a strange driver/inf problem. If I try to plug in a USB stick a USB disk or a memory card (SD, CF) I get the error message above. I have searched the net for solutions and found a lot of answers to the same error message, but they all relate to scanners and cameras.

I think the problem started when I installed SP1, uninstalling it has no effect. I have copied all the inf files from another , and mapped the other pc to mine so that I can let Device Manager get its files from the other PC, but I get the same problem.

Trying to assign a drive letter to the unit in Adm. Tools/Computer manager/disk Manager does not work, the unit is visible, but I get an error stating that disk manager is not up to date and that I have to refresh the view.

It can be  a registry, driver fault or some service that has stopped. Any suggestion will be most welcome,

I don't fancy reinstalling Vista and all the apps. That was one of the things which worked a lot better in XP, you didn't have o do a full reinstall of all the apps if you had a problem, just XP and all patches.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I managed to find an old complete backup and restored it. I reapplied SP1 and removed all references to the USB devices by using Regedit from Vista install DVD. I addition I copied all of inf (not oem*.inf) from a working PC and deleted all pnf files plus INFPUB.DAT INFSTOR.DAT INFSTRNG.DAT INFCACHE.* SETUPAPI.*.

I rebooted and added one device after another and everything has worked after that. The strange thing is that the problem did not affect an extra USB Hard Disk I use for backup, only memory sticks and SD-cards from my camera.

The only problem I have now is that ReadyBoost does not start, It stops immediately with Invalid Handle.

Thank God for forums, I got the above tip from a forum not connected to MS.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:18 PM

All replies

• I thought I would add a bit more info, The PC is a Lenovo laptop, T60p with 2500 processor and 4GB (3.2GB visible) RAM. I tried a U3 stick today and the system part of this mounts OK, but when I try to start Launchpad I get the same problem.

It is as usual impossible to et through to MS support here i Norway, so I was hoping for some uggestons via the TechNet forums. I was under the imression that the forums are maintained by MS personell and some of them are willing to help, but so far I have not received any replies from MS to any of my postings.

I have been a firm MS fan for ages, since before Windows 1, but I think I will probably go for Linux now. I spend too much time maintaining a tiny network of 1 server and 4 WS, it's not worth wasting my time on MS products.

The MS warranty basically reads "take it or leave it, you have probably pirateted the software anyway so you have to prove your innocence every time you use any MS service such as Windows update". I thought everybody was assumed innocent until found guilty by your peers, but MS seem to be above the law and beyond what people consider to be morally correct.

Well, good to get this off my chest, still hope to get replies to my original posting.

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:05 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post and sorry for reply delay.

As this problem occurred after updating to Windows Vista SP1, I recommend you to submit the issue to the following forum:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1992&SiteID=17

For your convenience, I performed a research on this issue. I’d love to share some suggestions to see if we can eliminate this problem:

1.    Please temporarily uninstall Launchpad and check whether all the involved USB devices work well.

2.    Perform a clean boot to exclude the factors from 3rd party services or applications.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

3.    Update/Reinstall the drivers of motherboard and chipset.

4.    Please check if there is any error in Device Manager.

Hope it helps! If I misunderstood your concern, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

I managed to find an old complete backup and restored it. I reapplied SP1 and removed all references to the USB devices by using Regedit from Vista install DVD. I addition I copied all of inf (not oem*.inf) from a working PC and deleted all pnf files plus INFPUB.DAT INFSTOR.DAT INFSTRNG.DAT INFCACHE.* SETUPAPI.*.

I rebooted and added one device after another and everything has worked after that. The strange thing is that the problem did not affect an extra USB Hard Disk I use for backup, only memory sticks and SD-cards from my camera.

The only problem I have now is that ReadyBoost does not start, It stops immediately with Invalid Handle.

Thank God for forums, I got the above tip from a forum not connected to MS.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:18 PM
  • Hello,

I'm happy to hear that the problem has been solved. Thanks for sharing the solution!

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:37 AM