none
how to change name of existing project RRS feed

• Question

• hi 

I want to change name of the existing project in PWA 2010 and would like to have a backup copy. 

want to make significant changes to both of these files and would like to be able to restore them in case I break something.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:16 PM

Answers

• Knowing the Project Server is quite a prerequisite if you want to manage correctly the application. Here is the description of the DB for PS2010. The draft DB is where data is stored when you save a project. When you publish it, it goes to the Draft DB then to the Published DB.

When you restored a version, you cannot restore back the initial one, since you overwrite it in the Draft DB. You'll always have the initial published one before publishing the restored version. 

But the retore-backup feature is NOT intented to make scenarios and scheduling testing. It is intended to recover a previous version of a project in case the plan is completely messed up, corrupted, misupdated. I still suggest you to make a local copy of the project file on your hard drive and to do your scenarios. Once satisfied, you just reflect what you did locally on the project in Project Server.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

• Marked as answer by Project help Friday, October 3, 2014 7:50 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest that you make with MS Project Pro a "save as" of Project A as Project B on Project Server, meaning you will have 2 identical files. Then make the changes you want to both files and delete Project A and/or Project B. The deleted project(s) will still be accessible from the Archive DB. Note that in the time you'll have Projects A and B on Project Server Draft and Reporting DB (ie before deletion), assignments and all data will thus be duplicated, causing eventually troubles to the users.

Hope this helps,

• Proposed as answer by Toon S Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:01 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:28 PM
  • hi,

There are 2 things I want to do:

1)

I want to make a backup of a project file in PWA 2010 before I make significant changes to it.  I want to make sure that in the event that I damage my project file while making my changes, that I will be able to restore it with all of the connectivity to the resources with their work values still valid and connected to the system as if I hadn’t made the change in the first place.

For example:  My original file is A.  I save it to file B and keep file B indefinitely.  I then do significant changes to file A.  After the file A changes, I find I have deleted something I should not have, or something else goes awry.  I then want to replace file A with file B putting me back to exactly the state I was in before starting the whole process.  Can this be done?

2)

The second thing I want to do is to rename my project file.  How do I do this?

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Thus I would proceed in 2 steps:

1. save a local copy of your file, update your project. Once you're satisfied, report back the changes to the version on the server and you can either delete the local copy or keep it for legacy,
    2. in order to rename the project, right click on it in the file/open dialog box and click on "rename". Rename the file, open it and publish it.

An alternative for the step 1 : if you have configured the daily backup and restore, you can make the changes of your project just saving it (do not publish in order not to impact team members and reports). If you're not satisfied, just restore the latest version of your file using the administrative restore. Or you could simply update your project without saving it until you're satisfied.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:26 PM
  • hi Guillaume,

I have not configured daily backup.How can I take a backup of a single project and where it will be stored?

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Then your solution is to save a local copy of your file on a shared drive or local drive, update your project. Once you're satisfied, report back the changes to the version on the server and you can either delete the local copy or keep it for legacy,

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Can I do one time back up from here and then will I be able to restore if anything goes wrong?

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:18 PM
  • You can always do this, but since it is just for 1 project, it is quite a heavy process. I'd suggest either to configure the daily backup (only for the projects) and to wait for the next day, or to do a local copy.

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:20 PM
  • what do u mean by heavy process? It will take lot of space?
    Friday, October 3, 2014 3:23 PM
  • I mean that this operation will take instantaneously a full backup of all projects which will take time and space. You have to be sure that your infra can support it. 

That being said, beside from this "1 time" back-up feature (the one in your screenshot), I'd strongly suggest to schedule the daily backup.

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:28 PM
  • I am in Administrative restore Page I see there is a project listed which I am working on.

Is this last back up it took on the server? Version description and version date

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:28 PM
  • I am in Administrative restore Page I see there is a project listed which I am working on.

Is this last back up it took on the server? Version description and version date

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:38 PM
  • If you see project in the Admin restore page, it means that at a time, there was an daily schedule backup configured. Anyway it is strange that you just have 1 project.

If you can see your project, then you should also see the date it was backed up. Note that restoring a project will restore it in the draft DB only.

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:41 PM
  • No I see other projects as well.

what is draft database?

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:42 PM
  • If anything goes wrong and I restore the project Can I upload it back to Project server the restored version.If yes then how?

Thanks in Advance.

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Knowing the Project Server is quite a prerequisite if you want to manage correctly the application. Here is the description of the DB for PS2010. The draft DB is where data is stored when you save a project. When you publish it, it goes to the Draft DB then to the Published DB.

When you restored a version, you cannot restore back the initial one, since you overwrite it in the Draft DB. You'll always have the initial published one before publishing the restored version. 

But the retore-backup feature is NOT intented to make scenarios and scheduling testing. It is intended to recover a previous version of a project in case the plan is completely messed up, corrupted, misupdated. I still suggest you to make a local copy of the project file on your hard drive and to do your scenarios. Once satisfied, you just reflect what you did locally on the project in Project Server.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Project help Friday, October 3, 2014 7:50 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 3:57 PM
  • Hi 

I want to change the name on the project site as well how can I do that?

I tried changing at the location below but it broke the link between the project and site.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Go the server settings, connected projects sites and update the project site URL to the new url.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:23 PM