Uninstalling SteadyState RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've removed all restrictions in the userlock profiles, I've disabled the restrictions for Global Computer settings and turned off the Protect the Hard Disk. After this I restarted the computer and then uninstalled SteadyState only to have the Log on to Windows window still the new way. I've lost "Change User" and "Turn Off Computer",  "Local Security Policy" is also missing. I cannot Restore to any time previous. Is there a proven way to restore my PC to the way it was prior to installing Windows SteadyState?
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:42 PM

Answers

• PROBLEM:  How to return to a system state prior to installing Windows Steady State 2.5 (WSS2.5)

SITUATION:  Had following problem as noted in other posts:  successfully downloaded and installed WSS2.5, but encountered an error message when I tried to log on with my non administrator account  after I had set up the settings/restrictions. When I tried to log in I received a message saying "Windows Cannot Copy File". The message was actually much longer than that. My computer then proceeded to countdown from 30 and then popped up an error message stating "Windows cannot log you on because your profile Could Not Be loaded"  

NOTES:  

1.  The file listed in the error message does not exist on the computer. 

2.  When I installed  Win Steady State 2.5 (WSS2.5) it automatically included or "recognized"  my non-administrator account.

3.  Problem remains whether or not the account profile is "locked" or unlocked" Additionally, I encountered hang-ups on shutdown and very long startup time after login (administrator accounts can log in).  

System: Win XP Pro SP3, Dell work station w/ Dual Xeon & hyperthreading "on", 2Gb ECC buffered RAM.

SOLUTION:  Here is how I returned to System state prior to installing WSS2.5:

1. Used System Restore to restore system to earlier date.

2.  Using same admin account under which I installed WSS2.5, i verified unlocked state and no restrictions for the non-admin account that WSS 2.5 latched onto when I installed WSS 2.5  (WSS 2.5 renamed my JP Power account as JP Power.orig).

3.  Attempted uninstall of WSS2.5 using Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.  

3a.  Results: uninstall hang-up.

3b.  Canceled uninstall

4.  Used Windows Installer Cleanup to uninstall WSS 2.5  (note: WSS2.5 folder (aka directory) remained in C:/Program Files/  ). 

5.  Opened task manager and shutdown bubble.exe  and  (I recollect) SCT1.exe  (they remained running even after using installer cleanup)

6. Deleted Windows Steady State folder from  C:/Program Files/ .

7.  Deleted shortcuts to WSS 2.5 (desktop and Start Menu).

COMMENTS:  Now my non-admin account starts up just fine.  Log out, shutdown, and startup does not hang-up or take 15 minuets +  (any account).  Finally I am thankfully rid of the (to me) essentially worthless Windows Steady State 2.5.  

Posted this note from my Mac Pro with its wonderfully easy to use & trouble shoot, stable, and multi-program compatible OS X (both 10.4 and 10.5).  I continue with MS Windows only because of my investment in a Dell workstation and Windows software.  Perhaps a much improved Steady State version will be offered and I will view Windows in a better light. 

Hope this helps you.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like the uninstall didn't complete successfully.  It should have restored these registry values:

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
    "shutdownwithoutlogon"=dword:1

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "AllowMultipleTSSessions"=dword:1

Thanks,
    Rob

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Yes you're right, it didn't and I'm unable to. Is this common with steadystate to not uninstall fully? Perhaps you/someone can walk me through the procedure step by step as I'm not that confident yet.

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:07 AM
  • PROBLEM:  How to return to a system state prior to installing Windows Steady State 2.5 (WSS2.5)

SITUATION:  Had following problem as noted in other posts:  successfully downloaded and installed WSS2.5, but encountered an error message when I tried to log on with my non administrator account  after I had set up the settings/restrictions. When I tried to log in I received a message saying "Windows Cannot Copy File". The message was actually much longer than that. My computer then proceeded to countdown from 30 and then popped up an error message stating "Windows cannot log you on because your profile Could Not Be loaded"  

NOTES:  

1.  The file listed in the error message does not exist on the computer. 

2.  When I installed  Win Steady State 2.5 (WSS2.5) it automatically included or "recognized"  my non-administrator account.

3.  Problem remains whether or not the account profile is "locked" or unlocked" Additionally, I encountered hang-ups on shutdown and very long startup time after login (administrator accounts can log in).  

System: Win XP Pro SP3, Dell work station w/ Dual Xeon & hyperthreading "on", 2Gb ECC buffered RAM.

SOLUTION:  Here is how I returned to System state prior to installing WSS2.5:

1. Used System Restore to restore system to earlier date.

2.  Using same admin account under which I installed WSS2.5, i verified unlocked state and no restrictions for the non-admin account that WSS 2.5 latched onto when I installed WSS 2.5  (WSS 2.5 renamed my JP Power account as JP Power.orig).

3.  Attempted uninstall of WSS2.5 using Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.  

3a.  Results: uninstall hang-up.

3b.  Canceled uninstall

4.  Used Windows Installer Cleanup to uninstall WSS 2.5  (note: WSS2.5 folder (aka directory) remained in C:/Program Files/  ). 

5.  Opened task manager and shutdown bubble.exe  and  (I recollect) SCT1.exe  (they remained running even after using installer cleanup)

6. Deleted Windows Steady State folder from  C:/Program Files/ .

7.  Deleted shortcuts to WSS 2.5 (desktop and Start Menu).

COMMENTS:  Now my non-admin account starts up just fine.  Log out, shutdown, and startup does not hang-up or take 15 minuets +  (any account).  Finally I am thankfully rid of the (to me) essentially worthless Windows Steady State 2.5.  

Posted this note from my Mac Pro with its wonderfully easy to use & trouble shoot, stable, and multi-program compatible OS X (both 10.4 and 10.5).  I continue with MS Windows only because of my investment in a Dell workstation and Windows software.  Perhaps a much improved Steady State version will be offered and I will view Windows in a better light. 

Hope this helps you.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Hello,

after a successful uninstall of WSS2.5 (Dell D830, Vista Ultimate) I have now detected some Problems (unti now):

I have not automatic updates, defrag is not possible, no system restore points.

Is there a way to get back the values used before?

cheers, Ernst

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:10 PM