none
What happens when deleting folders from target during restore? RRS feed

• Question

• What happens if I e.g. restore E:\USERS\B and then I delete the folder B whilst restoring. What happens then if the restore is not yet complete? Will the restore fail or will it just recreate the target folder B and continue restore with the rest of the not restored files?

I would also like to know how DPM 2012 R2 restores? Does it restore per folder alphabetically, or does it restore randomly? Does it restore some files in E:\USERS\C\V   and then in E:\USERS\E\X and then after that suddenly back in E:\USERS\C\Z? 

• Edited by HAL07 Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is a structure inside backup copy. So even you deleted a folder before restoring, it will still restore to the correct path.

And "alphabetically" is just our guess (but I cannot find another proper way). Also I'm preparing to have a test on this. Will update soon. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I cannot find a formal article for the restoring sequence so here is my personal opinion:

A restoring must has a sequence - alphabetical is possible, and it will restore the first root folder with its content (in alphabetic order maybe) till finish and the second root folder.

So if you deleted a folder from destination folder, either it will be restored if it is not restored yet, or it will disappear if it is already restored in restoring process.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:45 AM
  • OKay thanks for the reply.

I was more interested in what happens if I have deleted a folder. Will it automatically re-create the folder when it can no longer find the path?

Also, restore alphabetically could be an issue. I guess it's not only my company that operate in project numbers, thus the oldest projects are restored first.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

There is a structure inside backup copy. So even you deleted a folder before restoring, it will still restore to the correct path.

And "alphabetically" is just our guess (but I cannot find another proper way). Also I'm preparing to have a test on this. Will update soon. 

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I performed a quick test with using Windows Server Backup instead. It seems to be alphabetically - with creating multiple files, it will actually restore as the list below in order.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:51 AM