Sequencing Acrobat 9 Standard - cannot convert MS Office files. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I am using APPv 4.6 sequencer.

After sequencing Acrobat 9 Standard I can convert for example .txt files but cannot convert to any MS office files.
    I get error: "Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files. Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?"
    If I install the Acrobat Pro 9 locally its works properly. When convertation is begin on local computer I can see that MS Word is start for a few seconds.
    Any ideas why appv package cannot convert ms office files?

Thanks,

Alexander.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:34 AM

Answers

• If Office is installed locally, you should probably also install Acrobat and avoid virtualising it.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 2:35 PM

All replies

• When you sequenced Acrobat did you have Office installed on your sequencing machine before starting the sequencing process?

Read this article for some more information on sequencing Acrobat: http://www.viridisit.se/eng/blog/?p=521

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:55 AM
  • Aaron, thank you  for the links and very good research.

I read only one your article  before sequencing: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/softgrid-sequencing-adobe-acrobat-8-%e2%80%93-the-story-so-far
    Yes, Office already installed but not never starting on this machine.

At this time I start (first time) and close ms word, excel and power point.
    I install the driver from  %ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF, copy AdobePDF.DLL to %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32

And now I try to create new appv package.
    Result  can be to provide leter.

Regards, Alexander.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Now when I lunch Acrobat during sequencing I can create .pdf form .docx.
    But when I create appv package still error on Windows 7: "Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files. Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?"
    and "Additional files will need to be installed to create pdf from this file. Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?" on Windows XP.
    In addition, Adobe PDF Printer not present in printers folders.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Did you run ACROBAT.EXE after installation but before clicking Stop Monitoring?

The Adobe PDF printer will not appear in the Printers folder because it cannot be virtualised.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:41 AM
  • No. Before this time I dont run acrobat before clicking Stop Monitoring. But run Adobe Acrobat application on step 5 in Sequencing Wizard (Launch Applications).
    Now on new snapshot create new appv package. Run ACROBAT.EXE after installation but before clicking Stop Monitoring. And select .docx file and can convert it to .pdf (Little success!).
    But when I start Acrobat  on client machine again "Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files.....".  (again fail)
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Maybe its doesnt matter.  Sequencer run on virtual machine  hosted on Hyper-V server.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Ok. I will try.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Have you set Local_Interaction_allowed? Is Office a sequenced package that is DSC'd with Acrobat?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Hi Jim. 
    Yes, I create new package and add to OSD file next rows:
    <POLICIES>
     <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
    </POLICIES>

but again not luck.

Regarding second question. Office applications installed locally on users machines, and not virtualized in appv package. If I understand correctly,
    I should create a separate package for the MS Word (for example) and make the relationship from Acrobat?

Regards,
    Alexander.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:09 PM
  • If Office is installed locally, you should probably also install Acrobat and avoid virtualising it.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 2:35 PM