none
Tasks Report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible for Project Server/MSP to report on:

- Tasks which should be complete but aren't

- Tasks which should have started with no progress

- Tasks which are due to complete in the next two weeks

- Tasks which are due to start in the next two weeks (but could be changed to any number of weeks)

I wanted one report which would show all of these items, but would allow me to filter.

Is anyone aware of anything PS/MSP has that can do this or be pulled together?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:54 PM

Answers

• Use the following for your lookahead formula.

IIf([Start]<([Status Date]+14) And ([% Complete]<100) And ([Status]="3"),"Yes","No") 

Then create a filter where "lookahead" equals Yes - you'll find the filter button on the View Tab.

Then choose one of the "inprogress reports" I chose Late tasks and modified the table so that it used the filter "lookahead"

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Have you reviewed the visual reports in MS Project and the Status field?  The reports are configurable and you can copy and paste tables and graphs from one report into another.

I would start by with learning about the status date and the status field and then move on to view Late Tasks report, and work out how the reports work using grouping/outlines and filters.

I would then Google "Tasks Due This Week" which will give you plenty of pointers including this one which looks well written. https://tensix.com/2016/05/microsoft-project-2013-and-the-look-ahead-filter/ 

Also, if you are using Project Server / Online, then this is also achievable in Power BI, and simple to do using the relative date filtering capabilities.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks very much for your answer, that's very useful.  As a starter I tried that Tensix article for a look ahead option, which is proving very good as a quick filtered solution, rather than a report.

However, it's not quite working.

Status Date = 06.02.18
    Formula used for 'Look Ahead' flag (as instructed) = IIf(([Start]<([Status Date]+14 And ([% Complete]<100)), "Yes,"No")

It does produce a filter, but not just for any task in the future.  For any incomplete task previous to the status date, as well as up and coming.  But not in date order either (attached pic)

Any ideas?

• Edited by ASQU Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:21 PM
  • Hi Andrew

If you think about the logic, you are saying any task that has a start date less than before the status date + 14 days, which of course includes tasks that should have started in the past.  If you only want future tasks that are due to start FROM the status date then you should include AND [status] = "Future".

When you review the reports, you'll find that you can apply this filter to a table of tasks, and you can choose the sort order also, I would suggest Start date might be what you are looking for?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:31 PM
  • Hi Ben,

That's exactly what I thought but the article was adamant this was the formula required. As you may have guessed, I am not formulae literate.

So, and feel free to speak to me like an idiot here I won't take offence, what would the full formula be for only tasks up to 'x' days in the future (14 as an example would be easy I suppose).

Also - applying to a table of tasks....?

Thanks for your patience!

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:41 PM
  • Use the following for your lookahead formula.

IIf([Start]<([Status Date]+14) And ([% Complete]<100) And ([Status]="3"),"Yes","No") 

Then create a filter where "lookahead" equals Yes - you'll find the filter button on the View Tab.

Then choose one of the "inprogress reports" I chose Late tasks and modified the table so that it used the filter "lookahead"

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:06 PM
  • Ben - thank you.  Helped a great deal.
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:15 AM