App-V 5 SP2 - Error when clicking next after capturing changes in sequencer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm getting a strange error message when attempting to sequence an application using the App-V 5.0 SP2 sequencer. The application has a repackaged msi installer. After installing the msi and clicking 'next' after ticking 'I am finished installing software' I receive an error from the sequencer. "An error was encountered while trying to prepare the package for saving. Please check the event log for more details."

Event viewer just logs an error under event ID 5006 "An attempt to prepare the package for saving failed (Error: 6629309790487068677)"

I've searched for this error and only come across a couple of similar threads which mention corrupt shortcuts may be the issue. The installer creates a folder in the start menu containing two shortcuts, I've deleted the folder before capture and get the same error. Have tried applying hotfix 4 to the sequencer and get the same error.

I've tried to delete the folders in the file system created by the installer and registry keys respectively before capture just to narrow down what is causing it to fail but I get the error every time. The sequencer is working fine as I can capture another application without issue.

Could anyone suggest what may be causing this problem? I'm stuck for what to try next.

Thanks

Friday, June 20, 2014 8:54 AM

Answers

• If there are existing folders before you sequence, it doesn't sound like you are using a clean sequencer. You VM should be reverted after each sequencing back to the state where you have just the OS and the Sequencer.

Steve Bucci Microsoft

• Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stewmang Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stewmang Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:52 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 6:34 PM

All replies

• If there are existing folders before you sequence, it doesn't sound like you are using a clean sequencer. You VM should be reverted after each sequencing back to the state where you have just the OS and the Sequencer.

Steve Bucci Microsoft

• Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stewmang Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stewmang Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:52 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I'm receiving the same error as Stewang. The machine I'm sequencing on is clean. I installed a couple pre-reqs (Java and .Net Framework) for the application on the VM and then I started the sequencing process.

The monitoring phase goes well, but at the point where the Feature Blocks can be created, the sequencer gives the error: "An error was encountered while trying to prepare the package for saving. Please check the event log for more details."

In the eventlog I'm getting:

An attempt to prepare the package for saving failed (Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

).

This is not due to not using a clean VM or lack of system resources (enough disk space + 3GB RAM).

What can be the issue here?

Thanks!

Monday, August 4, 2014 11:06 AM