Downstream server does not synchronize definition updates for upstream server approvals RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, everyone.
    I encountered a situation where the WSUS upstream server I tested was set to automatically approve Windows Defender definition updates, but currently the downstream server could not find the latest definition updates that have been approved. I observed that the downstream server is synchronized with the upstream server.

How to check? Any guidance is welcome.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 5:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, consider the following steps to check:

1. On the WSUS console of the upstream server, reconfirm whether the downstream server has successfully synchronized recently.
    2. The server cleanup wizard in the WSUS console is executed on the downstream server, and the cleanup is completed again after synchronization with the upstream server.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi Yic,
    I have cleaned up the upstream and downstream servers, but have not solved any problems, what other TS steps?

Is there a proxy between the downstream server and the upstream server? If it exists, please confirm if the agent has blocked anything.
    If the conditions permit, please consider reinstalling the WSUS function and WID database of the downstream server. For details, please refer to the method mentioned in this thread.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:00 AM

All replies

• Sorry, I can't verify my account at this time, so I can't send an image.

Add some descriptions:

The upstream server is Windows Server 2016, and the downstream server is Windows Server 2019. The problematic update is KB2267602 (1.299.2381.0). The definition update of this version cannot be searched on the downstream server, so the Windows Defender of the client connected to the downstream server is not updated.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:23 AM
  • Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, consider the following steps to check:

1. On the WSUS console of the upstream server, reconfirm whether the downstream server has successfully synchronized recently.
    2. The server cleanup wizard in the WSUS console is executed on the downstream server, and the cleanup is completed again after synchronization with the upstream server.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi Udara,
    Thanks for your article, this seems to be very useful! But it seems that there is no inspiration for the fault I am currently experiencing. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Hi Yic,
    I have cleaned up the upstream and downstream servers, but have not solved any problems, what other TS steps?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Hi Yic,

Is there a proxy between the downstream server and the upstream server? If it exists, please confirm if the agent has blocked anything.
    If the conditions permit, please consider reinstalling the WSUS function and WID database of the downstream server. For details, please refer to the method mentioned in this thread.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:00 AM