Had update today /found all my bookmarks gone!!!! Vista help RRS feed

• Question

• I tried system restore, and I cannot use it to restore to any of the points I currently have.  However, after the attempt, I did have my bookmarks back.  What can I do to prevent my bookmarks from disappearing after update and how do get my sytem restore to work like it should.  Vista and it is a desktop. This is the update that just happened. 
    KB971930  on 6/24/2009  
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding your above description that you can't perform system restore, may I ask some questions:

1.     Do you receive any error message while performing System Restore? When does System Restore stop?

2.     Is the update KB971930 installed successfully?

Based on my experience, restore points are not available if either of the following situation is true.

1.     System Restore is turned off, turning off System Protection for a disk deletes all restore points for that disk. If it is the case, you may need to turn System Restore on.

a)     Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

b)     In the left pane, click System Protection.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c)     To turn on System Protection for a hard disk, select the check box next to the disk, and then click OK.

Note: System Restore doesn't protect FAT32 and other FAT disks because FAT disks don't support the use of shadow copies. Shadow copies contain information about changes to documents and system files. Shadow copies require the NTFS file system. In this version of Windows, System Restore uses shadow copies to create restore points. If you store system files on a FAT disk, you cannot use System Restore to undo changes.

2.     You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.

3.     A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

4.     You manually reduce the data store size. This triggers the FIFO process to delete some restore points to accommodate the newly-resized data store.

In order to run System Restore smoothly, I recommend that you make sure that the prevented disks have enough space and you'd better create restore points manually from time to time.

Meanwhile,  I noticed that this KB971930 is an update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows Vista. Installing this update may change some Internet Explorer 8 installation files such as bookmarks folder, so you'd better back up your bookmarks before any changes related to this folder. You can change the location of this bookmarks to other disks.

By the way, for references:

System restore points and shadow copies of files are missing after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945681

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:05 AM