Tel URI digits and conference attendant prompts RRS feed

• Question

• Folks... here's a question.  While we are not using the OCS voice in our enterprise, we do use the conferencing bridge and are ready to ramp it up to a certain capacity for a production deployment.  That said, using the conferencing bridge requires you to enter in a phone number in the tel uri line so that when the user is in a dial in only scenario and required to enter in their phone number and PIN.  For ease of use, we set the tel uri to just the 7 digit phone number of our users rather than the +1-10.  However, the conference attendant still asks for the long version.  Is that something that has been addressed through a hotfix yet... or perhaps something that will be addressed in Wave 14?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

A possible workaround is to configure your users to have the TEL URI with the format:
    tel:+1xxxxxxxxxxxx;ext=yyyy
    You then will be able to use the phone extension (yyyy) instead of the whole E.164 number (1xxxxxxxxxxxxx).

-Quang
    • Proposed as answer by Quang Duong Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim McCabe Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

A possible workaround is to configure your users to have the TEL URI with the format:
    tel:+1xxxxxxxxxxxx;ext=yyyy
    You then will be able to use the phone extension (yyyy) instead of the whole E.164 number (1xxxxxxxxxxxxx).

-Quang
    • Proposed as answer by Quang Duong Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim McCabe Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:02 PM
  • That's close!  But what about the voice prompt to enter in the number.  I know I can change the digit number.  But does doing this change the voice prompt to "enter in the extension"??? 
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:11 PM
  • I think the voice promts says: If you are the leader, please enter your extension or your full number...
    So that should be fine!

-Quang
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Hmmm... I tested it on my account and it said I had an invalid extension.  After the extension prompt failure, it asks for the full number and PIN.  That works.   I'll let things replicate and try after lunch.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:01 PM
  • You can address this through a normalization rule in OCS.  For example, we have the following entered in our tel URI:  tel:+1aaannnxxxx;ext=xxxx however our users can dial in and use either their 7 digit local number and it is normalized to the E.164 standard, their 4 digit extension which is normalized to E.164 of their entire DID. 
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Yes, we have the same normalization rules.  However, our user base is not on OCS Voice.  Most are still one the old phone system and our OCS Voice capabilities are not going to be used in the near future with the exception of the conferencing bridge.  Basically, they are dialing the bridge number to the 5ESS which routes to the gateway then OCS.  So my task here is to reduce the number of digits they have to enter to join a OCS conference call. 

So anyway.... given that communicating what/how to enter in your extension to some 9000 users who know their extension as the 7 digit number, the ;ext=1234567 works and will make joining a conference as leader much easier for them.  That's a win as the voice prompt asks for the extension... something they understand inherently! 

Thanks Quang and all who replied for the info!  However, I do have to laugh at myself.  It was right there in the resource kit but I obviously overlooked it. 

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Also, Mark.... I should mention that we have more than one prefix and the potential of overlapping 4 digit extensions.  Kind of screwy but anyway.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:55 PM